Xbox faces possible distribution ban in Germany. Motorola still not quite worse than Hitler

Link 

-

Courts have ruled in favour of Motorola with regard to a purported patent infringement by Microsoft relating to its use of H.264 video coding. The injunction cannot be enforced for at least a week until its considered by US courts.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How bizarre!! Companys argue but its the customer or in or case the gamer that suffers!  I am on a British base so all being well this aint going to effect me.  I get my games from our store on camp never from german shops due to them being mega expensive.  As for the tinternet its again overruled by a british company but the lines etc are a german firm so this could be quite tricky.  I don't intend to lose sleep over it but was a intresting read. Cheers zfair!

surely Motorola would want their video codec on a 360, you know cause then you puts ads in the videos and make money off them that way.

Be interesting if the US court upholds this or if MS can wriggle out of it

-

Does anyone know if Germany is a strong region for Xbox?

Of course it's good for Motorola that MS use the codec, just so long as Motorola can fleece them with patent charges. Worth pointing out that MS have been on the other side of the fence a few times.

This also affects Internet Explorer and Windows 7 btw. I don't know nuthin about commerical law or patent law or whatever this but imagine what could happen if something like this was extended.

Nothing MS can't afford to buy their way out of

Im pretty sure that codec is used by all and sundry, not just Microsoft. Motorola are in the process of being brought out by Google, this just stinks of them trying to make some fast cash beforehand i think.

[quote user="zfair899"]

This also affects Internet Explorer and Windows 7 btw. I don't know nuthin about commerical law or patent law or whatever this but imagine what could happen if something like this was extended.

[/quote]

Well I'm sure Motorola will be happy when their phones become pointless as no one can use their special video format on PCs anymore, it might ever trigger a load of returns due to breach of standards as it might well say about videos in the mannual / on the phone box etc lol

From what I understand Germany are strong as a power in Europe, in terms of law and such.  From what is being reported if this is upheld the ban could likely spread through the whole of Europe.  I'd say this is potentially a big problem for Microsoft.  It's being reported that Motorola want $2.5bn off Microsoft.

[quote user="Bench M0nkey"]

From what I understand Germany are strong as a power in Europe, in terms of law and such.  From what is being reported if this is upheld the ban could likely spread through the whole of Europe.  I'd say this is potentially a big problem for Microsoft.  It's being reported that Motorola want $2.5bn off Microsoft.

[/quote]

Nah not going to happen. Motorola have already been blocked from enforcing the ban by a US court and MS have moved their distribution centers out of Germany (to the Netherlands).

Motorola is totally in the wrong. What they claim MS infringe are industry standards and Motorola promised to license them under FRAND (fair and reasonable) terms, but now they are going after MS demanding they pay a ridiculous amount in licensing fees (which would cost MS £2.5bn/$4bn ANNUALLY!).

MS will probably win the FRAND case (I believe they brought this against Motorola first in the US and Motorola retaliated with going after them in Germany which is notorious for siding with the license holder - also why Apple got the Samsung Galaxy tab banned there!)

Its unlikely to have any effect on the consumer.