Xbox DVD Drive Replacement

Hi Guys,

My friend gave me his old Xbox, he accidently tripped over it one day and he gave it to me since his warranty is now expired

and now, the DVD Drive will NOT read any discs at all. I did a tiny bit of research and from what I found, Microsoft uses

various different DVD Drive vendors for different Xbox releases. The Xbox came with a Philips Lite On DVD Drive. Now, my

question is: Can I buy a replacement Xbox 360 DVD Drive but from a different vendor, such as Samsung or Hitachi and will it

be compatible? Due to the fact that the Xbox is limited on drivers and firmware compatibility or else I'd just buy an Asus

DVD Drive for $15 from Newegg and use that :P . With all this being said, am I just better off replacing the Drive or buying the USB HDDVD Drive for

Xbox 360?

Thanks,

Trent

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 31 Applies to:

Replacing the disc drive yourself is considered system tampering and is against the terms of service. You could probably do it, but any disc drive you add will put you at risk to have the console banned.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your fast answer. I guess I'm just better off buying an Xbox USB HDDVD Drive then.

And by banned, you mean on Xbox Live correct? But I am still able to use the console other wise?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="dltra"]I guess I'm just better off buying an Xbox USB HDDVD Drive then.[/quote]The HD DVD drive accessory is only for DVD or HD DVD video playback. It cannot be used for games.[quote]And by banned, you mean on Xbox Live correct? But I am still able to use the console other wise?[/quote]Depends on the situation, but typically it means a permanent ban of the gamertag and a ban of the console from Live. Banned consoles cannot be used with normal gamertags or save game files - they corrupt both when used with the banned console. A corrupted tag is rendered unusable on a legitimate consoles. All progress earned while on a banned console is lost.

Sorry this didn't help.

You would have to open up the ocnsole in order to replace the DVD drive, which means that you will have to mod the firmware on the DVD drive, in order to make it work properly. This is against the Terms and Conditions of XBox and Xbox LIVE so you will be banned if you do so.

You are better off buying a new Xbox 360.

Sorry this didn't help.