Xbox Doesnt Recognize HDD, So I lose everything? :(

Okay so I start up my Xbox 360 to play some CoD, but it doesn't even go to the dashboard before it gives me an E68 error code. When I unplug the HDD the console works fine. I try to hook my HDD to my other console trying to transfer everything onto my brothers HDD thinking that I would keep it on there until i got a new drive. But no, of course my hard drive doesn't show up!  >:(  I tried unplugging everything and booting the Xbox, no luck. Tried reconnecting the power cables and again, no luck. Ive even tried hooking my HDD to my computer. Nothing. I've tried doing it with my brothers HDD and it works fine. I have no warranty on anything so I even tried replacing the connector cables inside the HDD, and nothing at all.

So does this mean that I wasted over $500 in DLC and countless hours of playing and countless game saves? Or is there some way where I can swap hard drives and still have all my stuff?

Please help me on this, Thanks

- Elephant Toast

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Hi there,

there is no way to transfer the stuff from a broken HDD.

But rest assured all stuff you have bought and downloaded can be redownloaded via your account.

The only thing you will loose are any savegame files that were only on your HDD.

-

If you have a new HDD (which can be ordered via http://myservice.xbox.com) you can download your gamerprofile (if you have the Microsoft account/email details) after that you should be able to download all DLC/Games that you have bought via xbox live.

How to redownload via the download history can be found here: support.xbox.com/.../purchase-history-help

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just want to add to the above post that  you can also view your download history on the console
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content-history#70fc89b007b44d41a0acc432f8d2e04e

Also when you get a new HDD wouldn't hurt to do a license transfer so you can play DLC,Arcade games off-line/with other profiles on your XBOX as well:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay so I should just license transfer? Damn this really sucks! I've played over 70 different games and they all have game saves :( I'm pissed right off! Is there anyway that I could fix the drive if I crack it open again an replace the connector cables? Or even spend like $200 for M$ o fix it?

Sorry this didn't help.

a few things i did not see...  

does the drive spin up what you hit the power on the pc or console??

also few games might have cloud saves so they might be there...

when you hook up the drive to the computer.  does it show up in the BIOS screen??

my .02

me

Sorry this didn't help.

I fixed it I think. I popped the drive into my console and pushed really hard on the drive while the disk was spinning and it booted properly. I then proceeded to transfer everything onto my brothers hard drive, It worked. But now there are some DLC map packs and other stuff that just will not copy/move onto the new drive. WTF?? How can I get ALL of my stuff? Im missing like 7.6 gigs of stuff. :( I think Micro$oft need to stop making garbage!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

Map packs fall under the category of items that can be recovered at anytime without the need for the original HDD. As someone stated in an earlier post all you need to do is goto your download history (They provided links already) and just hit download again!

Another idea would be to try purchasing a transfer cable from a local store and using that to transfer all of the HDD contents. As this way the connectors on both are easier to see and attach.

Hope you get it fixed!

Sorry this didn't help.

There are a couple of ways you can get your map packs and DLC back. The quickest is through Xbox.com itself.

Go to live.xbox.com/.../History

You will see a list of everything you have bought before.

Click on ADD TO QUEUE on the right of anything you weren't able to transfer between HDD's

Go to your console and press the Guide Button

Go left to GAMES & APPS

Select Active Downloads

You should see everything you queued to download from Xbox.com waiting to download on your console. If they don't auto download, select the top one and select DOWNLOAD NOW and it will ask if you want to do it for that item or all items. Select all items and it will download everything you have queued automatically.

Sorry this didn't help.