XBOX does not recognize my ethernet cable

When I turn on my xbox it usually connects automatically, however, it does not. I try to test the xbox live connection but when I get to the screen that asks me if I'm using a "wired" or "wireless" connection, I select "wired" and a message pops up telling me to make sure that my ethernet cable is connected to the xbox and a router or modem(which it is).  I powered everything down and then back up and the same result. Then I tried a new ethernet cable and nothing changed. I'm beginning to think there is a problem with the ethernet port on my xbox elite.

What should I do?

I've never had a problem for over a year with xbox live until I went on vacation for a week and came back and I couldn't connect.

I use a wired connection straight to my Motorola modem. I unplug my connection occationally to get other devises internet. So my xbox ethernet cable was not pluged into the modem for about a week.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 93 Applies to:

Try your xbox on a friends internet - if it works there then there is something wrong with the stuff you're using - possible 2 bad ethernet cords.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try a different port on the modem. Sometimes you will have port go bad on the modem.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Motorola modem is most likely for cable internet yes? So it only has one port. If that port works on other devices like the computer you used to post here then like I said try it at a friends house or get a brand new ethernet cord from a store.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've encountered almost the same issue today (07/14).   We disconnected the XBOX from power (after using it for 2hours with no issues) to prevent damage during lightening storm.  When we plug back in, XBOX not recognizing the Ethernet cable.   Internet works fine.  Changed ports on the router with no luck.  Did MS download an 'update' recently that only took effect upon a reboot ?   The cable works (tested it on a laptop).  Desktop is wired and is what I'm using to type this.   Did XBox's NIC go bad ?   (Note: this is an Xbox we got from MS in their 'advanced exchange program" when our original got the 3RRoD)

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem my cord and modem work for my laptop. I even borrowed a friends x-box which worked for a while then same issues. Is there some reason or way a cable or modem could damage the port on my x- box?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi illphil88. This thread is a bit old. Please go ahead and create a new thread, and we will be there to assist.

Sorry this didn't help.