Xbox does not detect Ethernet cable

For a reason unbeknownst to me, my Xbox has decided to cease any communication with the rest of the network. Nothing in the network settings or arrangement of the connection routing has changed in the time between functional connection and the connection failure. My Xbox connects (or rather connected) to the internet through a splitter plugged into my router (more connections in the house than I have ports in the router). The three other computers in the router function perfectly, the splitter registers in the router settings, and all connections through the splitter, except the Xbox, are completely functional. All lights on the router and splitter show connectivity, except whatever port the Xbox is plugged into.

I have tested three cables, all of which work without a problem when plugged into another device. I have cycled my modem, router, and splitter in the correct order multiple times. This issue has persisted for more than 24 hours with repeated restarting of the console. I am unable to forward the ports for the Xbox since I cannot access its IP, as it is not even registered as being plugged in to the network. I don't think the ports are the issue, as they were not forwarded when the console was functioning.

Attempts to test the connection through the Xbox network settings results in a frustrating "To use a wired Internet connection, make sure an Ethernet cable is connected to both your console and your router or modem." message. As I stated earlier, the cables plugged into it are indeed functional and are properly plugged into the console. Any assistance with my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Sounds like the jack on the XBox might need replaced, have you called for repair yet?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was hoping there would be a networking solution to the problem and have not yet contacted Xbox Repair. I've been out of the warranty for years and I'm not too keen on paying to fix this thing when I could just replace it, should the jack actually need to be replaced.

Sorry this didn't help.

Bump: Could I get an actual Xbox Support answer on this?

Sorry this didn't help.

same deal here man, was fine this morning and now nothing, could be an overheat problem i dunno? but it's something to do with the jack it's plugged into as the cable works fine on other devices.

i did however update this morning too, but if everyone else is still online then i'm sure it's unrelated....

final verdict, new xbox :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I just plugged my Xbox directly into my modem and the same issue persists. I'll be calling repair later today, but it looks like I'm going to get to buy a new Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate, just wanted to confirm that your console will need a repair. I was going to suggest trying the direct modem connection, but you beat me to it. You can also use this site to check your warranty status and set up a repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll have to try to register my console later I guess. Keep getting "An error has occurred in the system, please try again".

Sorry this didn't help.

You can try clearing your cache and cookies, or using a different browser. If you're still unable to get through, please call phone support at 800-4MY-XBOX, as they can help you out with that, too.

Sorry this didn't help.