Xbox dead after System Update

Turned on my Xbox this morning, and did the System Update. Everything seemd to go fine. It downloaded and restarted the system. Got the splash screen, then it went blank. I left it alone for about five minutes waiting, then turned it off and back on. Now I have a solid red ring. I tried waiting, unpluging everything and repluging, but no dice. Just a blank screen and a red ring. It was working just fine seconds before this Update! Am I just out of luck?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi there!

Can you tell me how many red lights you have or do you have the Xbox 360 Slim?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Lemme guess... MS will say "the update could not have done this." yet there are dozens of new posts in the Support page with people having issues with the console AFTER the update....hmmmmmm OP do the steps they will suggest to you and refuse to believe them when they say its on your end. I have to demand to speak with a manager on MS support before he told me it wasn't my machine after 3 different reps promised me it was on my end. trust in the force OP.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello g0ddess! Thanks for your post. As inferred by Sage, how many lights do you see? Also, what model of console is it? If it is a original style Xbox 360 (not S), does this mean you are seeing 4 red lights around the Ring of Light? If so, it seems like you've tried everything mentioned in our sticky on the subject, correct? ( forums.xbox.com/.../153180.aspx ) Would you be able to try removing the hard drive and let us know if the console boots up normally at that point? Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

This is kind of weird, because before, when I turned it on after the update, I got a solid red ring of four lights, not blinking. (At least that's what I remember. I was kind of distraught!) Just now when I turned it on, I got a blinking red ring of four lights. I tried unplugging everything again, and tried the “remove the hard drive” idea, to no avail. I think I have a spare AV cord laying around somewhere I’ll search for to try that as well, but I don’t think it’s the cable. It worked fine until the splash screen after the update made the system restart, then just went blank instead of going to the dashboard.

I have an original 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you already know this but 4 red lights means that your A-V cable is not detected.

Try that extra A-V cable if you have it laying around or ask a friend.

Post back your results :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, please try the other A/V cable, as Sage is correct - 4 red lights indicates an A/V cable issue. :)

Sorry this didn't help.