Xbox controller left trigger sticks

This is pretty much an FYI. After returning my controller twice I've released this must be an issue with an entire batch of controllers. All three controllers have had left triggers that feel like they're grinding against something inside. After some fiddling around, I found 3 contact spots where the trigger came into contact with the shell where I presume it wasn't intended too. The trigger actually touched the plastic beside the foam, before touching the small foam pad. After filing these pieces away a little, the trigger responds much better, and more so like right trigger.

As far as I can tell, the trigger button is slightly twisted more that the right trigger, which causes it to contact the shell where it's not suppose to.

Sorry in advanced, I'm only posting this here because hardware forums seem to have vanished and it's difficult to find a way to contact Microsoft. I'm just hoping someone sees this.

[Mod Removed]

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2018 Views 1,083 Applies to:

Just confirming I have a similar issue with my Day One controller.  The left shoulder button is very stiff (more than the right) and every 3-4 depression will leave it stuck in the depressed state.  I have to push the button away from the face to get it to release.  Not very useful for gaming.  I'll give it a few days to see if it loosens up, otherwise I guess I'll try to get a replacement.  As a PS4 and XB1 owner, the PS4 rollout seems smoother (thinner but smoother).  I had issues getting connected the first night, but not since.  XB1 keeps throwing network related errors when messing with avatars, etc.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My left controller trigger stuck more "logically" than physically. The trigger appeared ok but when you tried to do anything it was like it was stuck down. Had to take it back.

And yes that was a Day One Controller.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same issue left trigger not stuck. But acts like it is stuck down permanently. you have to press the A button fast for it to register. and if you sent a message it just flicks between ABC & Symbols constant. Day One Controller.

Sorry this didn't help.

im having the same issue, my DAY ONE edition controler the left stick broke and would stick in the direction it was pressed to and if you shook the controller you could here loose bits init as if a seal broke or something, so i had to return it to get a normal edition controller (which i wasnt happy about) cus it would of taken weeks to get the day one fixed only now for this new controller of 2 days peeing old is doing the exactly same thing, XBOX we demand that you remake your xbox one controllers or atleast fix this left stick problem feels cheaply made

Sorry this didn't help.

mine did the same thing. I sent it in for repair and long and behold one month later im still here with no controller for my xbox one! IM really actually *** off i called them and they said my order had been cancelled even though i sent my controller into them. they said they would send it through escalation and i would here from them within a week...nope not yet! Shame on you Xbox shame on you! You are closing to losing me to the darkside!(PS4)

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. Day one control left trigger got stuck and haven't been able to use it. It looks like the trigger is punched down about half way but still able to push down on it. Not like it matters because it doesn't respond anyway. It seems like if it's stuck down internally.XBOX you need to do something about your faulty day one controllers by at least fixing the broken ones and hope you don't continue selling faulty products.

Sincerely your loyal unhappy customers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem. Day one the left trigger was physically stuck. After applying some pressure and wiggling around a bit it released and started working fine for a couple of months. Then one day it got stuck again. So I did the same thing to free it up and it worked for a couple of months. Today the trigger  was logically stuck ON making it impossible to play some games. Since the warranty is only a whopping 90 days I decided to open it up.

You can pull the side panels of the controller off with your fingers. This exposes a slight view of the trigger switch. What I found was a loose screw magnetically stuck to the magnet that makes up the trigger switch. What was happening was if the screw was stuck between the magnet and the PC board it prevented the trigger from closing. If the screw was moved to the side, but still stuck to the magnet, the trigger worked fine. With some small pliers I was able to remove the screw.

Unfortunately this did not fix my logically stuck trigger. I think what happened was after months of the screw moving around in there it scraped up the circuit board breaking the circuit.

I took the controller apart further to see if my theory was correct. (FYI in addition to the four screws under the side pieces, there is a screw under the battery compartment sticker.) I didn't see any obvious damage from the screw but I can't see what's causing the broken circuit. I didn't see any places where the loose screw could have come from.

If you have a sticking trigger you might want to open up the side and see if it is a loose screw before it gets worse like mine.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the xbox one three weeks ago and i love it! But the controller... When i was playing gta V my guy kept on shooting even when i was holding the triggers. Now I can't stop aiming. Help?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there SOG Brigader!

Please go ahead and create a new thread if you haven't already.  This way you can receive support specifically tailored to you. Be sure to include the details of the issue as well as any troubleshooting steps that you have tried.  Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.