Xbox connection problems

This problem has just suddenly happened. I can connect to my xbox 360 and talk to friends etc. But when it comes to playing games or sky it just lags really bad now. I have had the same connection for around 18months now, no problems and open connection.

It says open connection on games but i get a red bar so lag is extremely bad.

My laptop, iphones etc have perfect connection to the internet.

Wireless adaptor and ethernet cable both have the same issue.

Have switched off the router many times but has made no difference.

Have done all the open ports stuff and everything.

I know my internet did go off for a couple of hours and to my knowledge is hasn't worked since then, can there be some sort of connection?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

With networks there could be many factors playing in. Check if the router has set up some sort of priority filter, or simply, if there is some computer on the network that is downloading something. Torrent clients tend to upload data (seed) after a download is complete and if left on, it could take a bite out of your bandwidth.

Also try to shut a few of the other machines that are connected to your network off and go on xbox live, if your ping does not get better consider testing with some other network equipment (eg, another router or new cables) and if you can, test your Xbox at a friends house.

You say that all your other devices connections are just fine, but would you mind checking that?

On your Windows-based PC press the windows-button and r simultaneously to make a "run"-prompt appear. It looks like a little white box with a text-field in the middle.

In the field write; "ping http://google.com" and press enter. A black box will appear on your screen, also known as the command line, and in that black box you'll see a lot of text float by. Let it do that for a while and then press the Ctrl-button and c at the same time to stop the commandline from pinging googles servers. After you've stopped the ping, it will display some statistics about how many packages that were sent and how many that were lost and recieved and so forth.

Take a look at how many packages that were lost, if there are many packages being lost there is something wrong, either with your equipment or your internet connection, and that is something we cannot fix. Sadly.

If you however get good statistics (few packages lost) then I suspect that your Xbox has gotten damaged somehow and all you can do then is contact customer support.

Best of luck to you with your Xbox!

//Strife

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey PrecisionJarl0, I believe the problem is that you might have too many connections on your Internet Service and/or router (Iphones, Laptops, etc.) that will quite possibly slow your connection speed and therefore causing lag in your games. I hope this little bit of information helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, PrecisionJarl0. Sorry to hear you're experiencing some trouble with lagging. There are different factors that may contribute to lag. Can you tell us a bit about your setup and whether you use any wireless accessories such as a wireless headset? In addition, can you run a speed test and post the results here for us? Thanks in advance! Standing by.

Sorry this didn't help.