Xbox Causes Internet Problems

Hello,

Since a few days ago, my Xbox has been causing my internet to crash.
The second I turn my Xbox on, the second and third lights on my modem (TDS Wired modem, btw) out of four lights total.  
The four lights, in respective order, are "Power," "DSL," "Internet," and "Ethernet."
The "Internet" icon on my router (a Belkin N Wireless) will eventually begin to flash as well after a few minutes.  
After the modem and router flash for about thirty seconds, they seem to go back to normal; however, after another half a minute they resume their flashing.  
My Xbox is usually unable to connect to the Internet while this is happening, although it does occasionally connect but gives me the error message "Some Xbox Live features are temporarily available, etc." 
Of course, the features still do not work, as after a few minutes the "Disconnected from Live" message pops up not long after.  
If I go to the Test Connection option, I typically get varying messages.  
Some of the more common ones is "Your DNS Server can't resolve Xbox Live server names," or another suggesting that I unplug my modem and router in an attempt to reset the connection.  
Unplugging my router, modem, and Xbox one at a time does nothing to help the problem.  
Whether I unplug one, wait 30 seconds, unplug another, wait another 30, etc.; Plug modem in, wait five minutes, plug router in, wait another ten, turn on Xbox, etc; Nothing works.  
I have even port forwarded 53~25565 on several different IP's, including the one for my Xbox.  
I have also DMZ'd my Xbox's IP and UPnP is enabled, as well.  
I have disabled the firewall, in case that could have been an issue.  
If I try to disconnect my Xbox from the network, the modem and router continue to act up.  
If I turn my Xbox off, however, the modem and router usually cease flashing and my internet continues to work fine.  
What really boggles my mind, however, is that even if I turn my router off, my modem still crashes if my Xbox is turned off.  
I have the newer Slim variant, so an adapter is not necessary.

This problem is not always present.  
I have had my Xbox for nearly a full year now and this issue only occurs about once or twice a month.   
My Wii also seems to cause this problem, even though I have disconnected it from the network, or at least, so I think.  
The rest of my wireless devices (iPod Touches, laptops, desktop computers) seem to not cause this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Alkaline

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 754 Applies to:

Hey there Alkaline!
What model of Belkin N router do you have? It seems to me that your Xbox is set up wireless. Confirm if this is correct.

• Make sure your router firmware is up to date (visit manufactures website and see if there is a later version available then your current one)
  • Or, use a certified version of firmware. Listed here!

You can laborate with Port Forwarding, UPnP or DMZ to find a solution that seems to work for you. Note: It is important that you have Port Forwarding and DMZ turned off as these two two methods can interfere with UPnP enabled. Have you tried UPnP (without Port Forwarding and DMZ) and your still having problems, try this! Locate the section that state your router and try those settings.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, it is set up wireless.  The model is F5D8236-4 v1.  I will try UPnP w/o PF and DMZ in a bit to see if that improves the situation.  Also, thanks for the link, that seems like it could be extremely helpful.

EDIT: I just updated my firmware.  I'll see if that fixed anything.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.