XBOX CAN'T UPDATE/CAN'T ACCESS XBOX LIVE. ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Hi. On tuesday I turned my xbox on as normal, it asked me to update so I clicked yes. Once the update has downloaded, it doesn't process. An error screen comes up saying "This update can't be processed. Please contact xbox support if these keeps happening. Status code: 396B - 397D - 1380 - 2446 - C000 - 0185. Then, it tells me to return to the dashboard, I click yes. The xbox then restarts and the same thing keeps happening. I can't access xbox live without the update, but I can't update. I have contacted support, approx 30 minutes on the phone just to be told that even though my 360 worked perfectly and will still play games perfectly the update had not caused the problem and my 360 must be broke and i would have to pay to get it repaired, that wasn't much help. I have tried to apply the update using both a USB and a disc. I have disconnected the internet connection to the xbox with the hope that the update will apply, but it just tells me to test the connection or troubleshoot. I have also tried taking my xbox to a friend's house to see if I can update there. Nothing is working. after looking on the forums many other people are having similar problems.just to clarify my 360 worked fine and will play games fine,but i cannot update so cannot go on xbox live.does anybody have any idea why this may be happening and how I can fix it? Thanks for any help. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

its a common problem. After 2 days mine finally downloaded the update but the dashboard options wont load, netflix wont load, cant view who is online. So if you eventually get it to dowloand, mine after 2 days and aprx 10-15 tries, you will still have issues once online again. So to answer your questions: yes people are having the same identical issue as you my friend.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey H1T, sorry to hear about the update issues! To be sure, have you had a chance to try a direct-modem connection for your console yet? If not, please give that a try! If you're not able to update while connected to the modem, then please try these steps while remaining on that direct connection:

On your console, go to Settings hub, and then select System.

Select Storage.

On your controller, press the following button sequence:

1. Press the left bumper.
  2. Press the right bumper.
  3. Press the X button.
  4. Press the left bumper.
  5. Press the right bumper.
  6. Press the X button.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mister Fitzer

Tried that but it didn't work. Also tried something similar which was recommended by xbox support, that also didn't work. Microsoft need to find some other answers to this problem that seems to be affecting quite a few users. Thanks for trying to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey H1T, sorry to hear that! To clarify, what was recommended by phone support specifically for this issue? I'd like to know so we don't recommend the same thing again. Also, when you tried the above steps, were you connected to your modem with an Ethernet cable?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mister Fitzer. Yes we were connected to the modem VIA Ethernet Cable. Xbox support recommended all the steps on the official site aswell as taking the xbox to a friend's house and trying their connection, also swapping harddrives with a friend. I also configured a USB stick and used that instead of the hard drive to download the update and the same error occurred always. As I stated in the first post, the xbox worked perfectly fine before this and still works fine to play single player games but xbox live cannot be accessed because we need the update which obviously cannot be processed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why oh why are we wasting time with the stock cable bumper x replies, clearly there is a major issue that you need to take seriously, as people who pay to use xbox live are wasting time and effort here. A 5 year old could spot the issue began with the last pointless dashboard update, that clearly was not thoroughly tested. and has caused many frustrating hours. and your bumper x has lost my avatar, the download is now stuck re-downloading and I'm frankly getting really angry with the lies comingout " there is no known issue" for 1

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again Hitman! Thanks for getting back to us. After reviewing your thread, we are inclined to agree with phone support in regards to your console needing to be repaired. After trying all the steps you have already tried, there isn't much else we can offer in terms of troubleshooting.

That said, it might be helpful to clarify the USB manual update you did. What did you experience when you tried this; did nothing happen, or did you get the same error code? Did you make sure to follow the steps exactly in regards to downloading, unzipping, and placing the file on the USB? Please let me know and I'll see if there is anything further I can suggest in that vein.

Son: I noticed that you have posted several times in many threads. We do ask that you make any relevant posts to your issue in your original thread and not post the same text in multiple threads. Thank you for your concern here.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mister Gwyther. Followed the USB instructions on the website, the same error still appears. As regards the 360 needing repair, it wasn't in need of repair until this update occurred. I was a constant user of xbox live and never had any problems until this update. If microsoft aren't prepared to take responsibility for this then they have lost a customer.  But I am appreciative of your help, thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here. Unable to use XBOX Live due to update. Connection test shows connected to the internet but failed connection to XBOX Live. Just tried to play a game and had to download an update for it, no issues. System update popped up, same failed update status code.

Sorry this didn't help.

H1T, I experienced the same issue on the same day.  My Xbox has worked just fine until running the update, just like yours.  I have tried everything with exception to connecting directly with an ethernet cable.  I'm not able to successfully put the software and console updates on a USB drive using both a mac and a pc b/c I get error messages keeping me from transferring the updates to the USB drive.  Troubleshooting with support has been unsuccessful and i'm being told that it will take anywhere from 3-4 or 17-18 days before i'm provided any additonal information based on the escalation that was submitted.  They seem to think I may need hardware repair as well, but I'm not convinced that's the issue either.  Please post if you hear anything further; I will do the same.

Sorry this didn't help.