Xbox bug glitch or virus?

Hello :)

I have been having problems with my xbox one last week I been logging in to my account and my xbox didn't say hello to me I didn't really care but it sound weird. I started to play my game and I got some achievements on it so when I was going to check them by going to the icon in the top left corner right beside the account choosing my whole console froze so I restarted my console and when I clicked it again it froze my whole console I didn't know what was going on so I tried to ignore it so I saw that the new star wars beta was up I wanted to download it so I was about to search it up when the keypad didn't show up so I couldn't type I didn't know what was going on so I went to go to my settings and when I checked my console and privacy settings the whole app crashed. I hope this isn't a virus please help me. I almost forgot to tell you that I own this xbox for almost a year and this "bug or virus" wasn't here then so I don't know what's going on.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 90 Applies to:
Answer

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having problems with your console.  I can tell you now, it's not a virus, the Xbox One console can't get virus's.  The Xbox One is in a kind of 'lock down' it can not run code that has not been digitally signed by Microsoft and it can't run PC based applications.

Which leaves two other possibilities, either console has developed a fault and needs to be repaired/replaced or there is a power issue.  To rule out a general fault with your console, unplug from the power source and wait about 10 seconds for it to go completely off.  When you plug it back in, make sure you are plugging your console into a known working socket that does not have any surge protectors present.  Surge protectors can play havoc with the Xbox One as it already has it's own surge protection.  It is best that console is plugged directly into the mains.  

Even if your socket has worked for years, there is always a chance that it has developed a fault - mine did.  I had two replacement Xbox One consoles with a similar issue to yours.  In the end it was the socket that was faulty.

If that does not resolve your issue, you'll need to contact Xbox Live support to arrange a repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.