Xbox account is incorrectly set up as a child account, Microsoft refuses to fix it

My son's xbox account was somehow set up as a child account, even though the registered age on the associated Microsoft account is over 18 and has been for some time.  Microsoft not only refuses to fix it, they refuse to tell me what the entered birthdate on the account is or when it was set up in that manner.  They provide no way for me to check for myself under the guise of "their system doesn't have that information".

For all I know, there could be a database error on their side (I work in IT and I know these things happen all the time) that's causing the issue.  Microsoft could've *** up.

So now my poor son, who bought an Xbox One and games on his own, has no recourse other than to not play a number of games that he purchased or lose months worth of status on games he was able to play by creating another account. 

Has anyone ever been able to get Microsoft to fix an Xbox account in this manner?  I know it's "the rule" and all, but it seems patently ridiculous.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Nope because it cannot be seen.

First e age of the ms account is irrevalant thats why they cannot see it

The xbox account asks you to enter the birthdate again and whatever he entered is set in stone noone can change it as per the copa laws until that birthdate turns 18 ir whatever age of majority is in the region korea is 16 if i remember correctly thrn you can promote it

But due to copa noone can change it for you

Changing the ms account to the xbox axcount wont work

Only a new xbox account

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Who set up the account?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't recall.  It was probably my son, but I had to do something at some point because he may have been a minor when the account was originally set up.  

In reality, it doesn't matter, though.  I have no visibility into when the account was set up, how it was set up initially, and what the settings are today.  Neither does my son.  And apparently, neither does Microsoft support.

I get privacy laws and all, but when you can't even provide visibility as to when the account was created and what was entered when the account was created, that's suspicious.  If the account was accidentally registered with a birthdate that doesn't match the Microsoft account (and you'd think there would be some kind of crosscheck) we're out of luck.  If there was an error on Microsoft's side (and believe me, that stuff has happened before) we're out of luck.

The bottom line - I know this information is available somewhere, but the fact it isn't available to my son or myself is extremely sketchy.  I have to take it on faith that Microsoft didn't make a mistake.

Sorry this didn't help.

And here's the other thing - COPPA explicity says that as a parent, I have the right to review personal information provided by a child.  If my son signed up for an account, as his father I have the right to review that information.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know that it is a pain, but you maybe able to fix it. You will need to know who is the main account. You will have to sign in on account.Xbox.com. Click, Security, family & forums. Below it it will see

Access to content

See the individual games and websites you've given permission for your children to use, and manage that permission here.

Access to content

Click Allow and what he needs access to.

I hope this works for you!  Please let me know.

Sorry this didn't help.

Except ther eis no info to view noone knows explicatelh what you son put in

That is thw questipn for your son not ms

Once entered noone can see it

The only change that cam.  Be done via copa is to wait for your son to actually turn 18

Sorry this didn't help.

You can view what hes done via your ms account tbats tbe ms avcount not tbe xbox account which noone can read anyhow

Sorry this didn't help.

Dob isnt used or collected except to pay the coppa fees

Noone has access to rhe dob except your son who enteerd once and only once unless he made it public noone else can see his true age till that age hit 18 nothing can be seen or done till then to promote it

Cbanging rhe account age or the windows live id wont work because it can only be entered once

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.