Xbox 720/Next Can Microsoft Win Back their Fans?

The Xbox 720/Next is coming, rumors speculate it will be announced this April at a planned press event or at E3. Now Microsoft has lost many fans and respect over the past few years. This is largely due to the fact of them focusing less on games and the gamer and more on these new apps and other services. And when they are making games most of them are Kinect focused; and the majority of those games end in failure. I don't hate the Kinect but Microsoft is putting way to much focus on it and are producing games that fail to live up to the hype. So that brings up the question. Can Microsoft win back its fans? 

What do you all think? Will Microsoft learn from their mistakes? Or will be treated to more disappointment? I guess we'll see at their upcoming event.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think they can bring back their fan, maybe with the illumi room idea they showed in the beginning of the year. I hope they use that illumi room idea for the Xbox 720 and improve it and work on so it doesn't look they rush it. We just got to wait and see at the event.

[quote user="BLIZZARDBLADE6"]Now Microsoft has lost many fans and respect over the past few years.[/quote]The sales figures do not agree with your assertions.

Neither did the PS2 sales figures during a very similar scenerio.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]Neither did the PS2 sales figures during a very similar scenerio.[/quote]How is treating your devs like crap and pushing a very difficult to program for console "similar" to a few people whining about Kinect and apps?

A lot of developers say that MS is horrible in the way they treat XBLA developers like the guys behind Super Meat Boy, Braid,Trenched(Iron Brigade), the Oddworld guys, and Fez.

Yep. Everybody from Valve to Just Add Water to former Rare employees have had nothing but bad things to say about the company. And many indie developers don't like them either due to them charging $40,000 to release a simple patch.

it comes down to the specs of the console and the marketing.

both jjonathan blow and a slew of companies were more excited to hear about ps4's leap in technology. If Microsoft can best it, then they'll have the ability to steal exclusives and make some of them shine on their platform. (thus winning a lot of hardcore fans.)

all companies like SquareEnix, Epic, and capcom are interested in is showing how well their projects can look. and ever since steve ballmer said "it's all about the developers", that's what it's been for two decades. get all of them to like you more and you win the crowd.

Exclusives play a big part of that as well though an unfortunatly most of Microsofts first party studios have Kinect and Arcade specialties. Unless Microsoft has a bunch of hidden studios up their sleeve, Sony is going to have a pretty easy time taking over the Core audience.

I may get both, I may not get either one. The PS4 reveal was promising in that it looks focused on being a games machine first, and not another "media hub".

MS will need way more than another Halo and another Gears to even gain my interest in their next console, as the displeasure I've felt with the 360 has only grown since the initial investment I made in the console (still playing a 20gb Pro with a few thumb drive memory sticks).

Any console that does not launch with enough memory to sustain the life of the console will definitely not get my money.

However as long as Sony treats the PS4 like the PS3, you will be able to upgrade your hard drive using any 2.5 laptop drive. This is why I will probably go with the cheapest PS4 if the HDD size in the only major difference.