Xbox 720...

So you may have heard bout the xbox 720 and various rumours, but heres the facts. The first xbox came out in 2001, the 360 in 2005, 4 years apart so we are 2 years overdue an xbox. There are various rumoured release dates, the main ones being 2012 and 2015. I dont know whcih is more likely. If microsoft wanna comment that would be gr8. Please cooment

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've seen rumors but the one I dislike the most, is the name "720".  Release dates don't bother me, since I don't plan that far ahead with games.

[quote user="ChickinOnaChain"]

I've seen rumors but the one I dislike the most, is the name "720".  Release dates don't bother me, since I don't plan that far ahead with games.

[/quote]

Agreed. What an idiotic name.

That said, I think I like tis rumor even less... Games will be DL only. If that is the case, I will not be buying the next Xbox. In all honesty, I probably won't be buying it anyway.

Rumors are just that...rumors. MS will announce their next system when they are ready. But given that they have said they are pushing for this system to last 10 years, we most likely wont hear anything for awhile.

Just because the 360 is supposed to last 10 years doesn't mean the next xbox isn't coming sooner than 2015. Microsoft has hinted at the next xbox coexisting with the 360 for a few years.

I doubt it will ever be download only. Some people do not have internet or dial up. It also cuts out the stores, I like browsing video games at the store.

I for one am fine with the current 360. Personally, a new console would just be a problem for me, since I would need completely new accessories, a new generation of games, and 360 games would become obsolete. I think they should stick with the 360, especially since great games are still being released like Skyrim or Battlefield 3 which prove that the 360 still has amazing abilities.

[quote user="BanjoApocalypse"]

Just because the 360 is supposed to last 10 years doesn't mean the next xbox isn't coming sooner than 2015. Microsoft has hinted at the next xbox coexisting with the 360 for a few years.

[/quote]

Either way, rumors are still rumors, and with all the pushing MS is doing with the Kinnect, I doubt we will see any new console any time soon, as the Kinnect is more or less being treated as not only an add-on, but a new system.

There have been rumours for a while that the 720 is happening, but i seem to remember reading an interveiw somewhere saying "the 720 is a tacky name, and besides it should be 540 next".

On the "download only" front. Why not release games on SD cards? Or usb drives. You can write protect them, and make is so the content only works on the specific serial numbered card. This would get over the DVD vs Blueray problem that exists now.

I agree that download only would hurt. I download A LOT but this would make me bock.

I've wondered why they don't go to something like SD cards or USB drives myself. Not that the BD vs DVD argument has much merit anymore (DVD is quickly going the way of VHS), but it would eliminate moving parts, along with the heat & wear associated with them. It would also virtually eliminate load screens.