Xbox 720 More Power?

The next generation console "xbox 720" is supposed to be more powerful and higher graphics capability.  I think it's overkill and an unnecessary cost because the games being developed now are not even using the Xbox 360 graphics capabilities to the max.  Read more @  <a href="http://xbox-720.co">Xbox 720 News</a>

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hopefully the console will be at least a ten fold increase for true 1080 rendering resolutions and a lot more RAM so level of detail won't have to be as much as a priority as well as content compression. I have BF3 on the 360 and PC and even though I personally like playing it on the 360. BF3 even with everything on low on the PC version makes the console version look very plain.

-

Hopefully they will do even more of what Intel and AMD are doing by really integrating the CPU and GPU onto a single die with a shared low level memory cache and shared memory bus between them. Getting rid of the bottleneck between the CPU and GPU might be what really allows the next gen consoles to offer developers something to take advantage that you won't really see in PCs for awhile.

-

I think $400 would be fine with me if they don't skimp on features and hopefully bring back HDDs being an included component on every system.

[quote user="VorticoseComa04"]

The next generation console "xbox 720" is supposed to be more powerful and higher graphics capability.  I think it's overkill and an unnecessary cost because the games being developed now are not even using the Xbox 360 graphics capabilities to the max.  Read more @  <a href="http://xbox-720.co">Xbox 720 News</a>

[/quote]

I disagree.  There are a lot of games that is pushing the console to the max.  Halo Reach, Gears of War 3, amongst others.  DICE even stated that they had to dumb down the graphics in Battlefield 3 for the 360 simply because it didn't have the muscle to do what they wanted.   Also they didn't make hardly any games that took the original Playstation to the max until after Playstation 2 hit the market.

The games are being developed to fit the consoles and if the consoles would have been better the games would have been better too. I also disagree that this xbox is maxed out, theres just so much more they can uppgrade and make better. I mean wheres the Blu-ray? a better processor and a lot more.

[quote user="Johantpro"]

The games are being developed to fit the consoles and if the consoles would have been better the games would have been better too. I also disagree that this xbox is maxed out, theres just so much more they can uppgrade and make better. I mean wheres the Blu-ray? a better processor and a lot more.

[/quote]

That won't happen. As much as MS is trying to make the 360 a mini-PC/cable box/music player/app device/etc/etc... The fact remains, it's a game console. And what separates a game console from a PC is consoles don't have optional/upgradable main components. Much like a Burger King Whopper, they're all supposed to be identical. If some players had Blu-ray drives, while others didn't, all games could not run on all consoles. As we've seen with numerous upgrades over the years (the PS2 HDD being a huge one), developers will not utilize them because their sales potential is automatically limited. Who is going to release a game on Blu-ray when only, maybe 10% of 360 owners might have one? No upgraded components will be taken advantage of, making them a waste. If gamers wanted a machine they had to upgrade & be part of a community that isn't all on equal ground, they would game on PCs. With consoles, every game is guaranteed to run on every console. Start upgrading them and they no longer have the essence of what game consoles are.

please dont call it the 720, it makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Well I paid £300+ for my original Xbox 360 back in 2006.  I am from the UK though and us Europeans always pay more than the U.S for this stuff.

Really old tech? More like ancient tech.

[quote user="FUN LOVIN KILLA"]

just hope all my 360 games work on the new console.......????

[/quote]

Probably not gonna happen.

I Believe I read on IGN that the next gen engines like Unreal 4 will require 6 to 10 times more power to fully utilize thier full potential! :)  Cheers!

Near complete backwards compatabillity isn't impossible, especially since it looks like the next xbox will have another IBM power pc cpu and an AMD/ATI GPU. There will always be issues, but this transition should be fairly smooth.