Xbox 360S suddenly won't connect fully to XBL

Last Friday (11 Jan 2013), my Xbox 360S suddenly couldn't connect fully to XBL.  When I say "fully", I mean that it would get as far as letting my profile sign in and showing me (accurately) what friends were online, but would show the "Connect your Xbox 360 to the Internet to explore games, entertainment, and more" message on the homescreen.  Attempting to play any online game would further prove that I wasn't actually connected. 

I ran the connection test and it showed that the console was successfully connecting to my home wireless network and the Internet but then failing at the XBL step. I was unable to log in fully to my XBL profile.  Some other times, all three legs of the test would show a successful connection but I still wouldn't be able to connect to XBL afterward.  The error code that I typically receive when XBL won't connect is either 80072ee2, 8007274d or else

I contacted phone support for XBL and they worked with me for hours with the usual steps - recycling modem/router, MTU, NAT, port forwarding, delete and re-download profile, rollback and re-apply recent updates, etc. - even went so far as to set the router back to factory settings, but nothing worked.  I separately also worked with my ISP (Time Warner) and the router manufacturer (Netgear) and as expected, they had no answers and simply pointed the finger at the other two. 

It's important to note that no other connected devices are having any issues on our home network, including this laptop, several iPhones and Kindles, etc. Also, aside from adding two new phones to the wireless environment, there haven't been any changes to our network since these problems began. 

I recently tried setting up my old Xbox 360 with the separate wireless adapter and it worked (although sluggishly) in the same room as the router.  Unless someone has a magic configuration bullet here, I guess my next step would be to bring the old 360 down to the TV room and confirm that it can connect successfully there as well.  If that's the case, then wouldn't it point to the Xbox 360S as having suffered some sort of hardware failure? 

Thanks very much.  My detailed info is below. 

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Ohio, USA
Modem brand & model number: Motorola Surfboard SB6141
Router brand & model number: Netgear WNDR3400v2 (up-to-date firmware)
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Internal 360S
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown  Yes
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? NAT is open (this tended to somewhat fix the error vs. having it set to "secure"; however, performance was horribly slow, i.e. menu tile would be blank for minutes and the overall connectivity problems resurfaced from time to time)
Any Error Codes you encounter: 80072ee2, 8007274d and
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Time Warner Cable
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W:  0000 - 0021
X:  0000 - F001
Y:  00A8 - 4820
Z:  0000 - 0000
ID:  FFFF - FFFF
L:  0015 - 10F0
Q:  8015 - 1004
T:  Wireless
D:  192.168.1.9/255.255.255.0

G:  192.168.1.1

D:  192.168.1.1, 0.0.0.0

N:  Cirque

S:  WPA2
C:

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 51 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there NineInchDave!

Thanks for bringing this to the Forums.

Firstly: Do you have the Xbox 360 Slim 4GB internal memory device or 250GB harddrive?

I've read through your detailed post. But before we go through troubleshooting your wireless connection, could you verify if you can connect properly by connecting the console directly to the modem.

Have you tried to connect your console at a friends house to see if it can connect properly on a different network. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi and thanks for your quick response!  

I have the 250GB hard drive model Slim.  

I'll get a chance to directly connect the Xbox to the modem by tomorrow morning.  I'll post the results of that asap.  I'm not sure when I'd be able to take it to someone else's network - probably not until this weekend.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Try going into your System Settings > Storage > Profile, while signed in and see if it says your profile is corrupt and if it is delete and recover it. this happened to me and this is how i fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Leathal - I tried this when I was working with the XBL support agent on the phone.  We deleted and redownloaded my profile.  Plus, I was able to confirm that the profile works on my other Xbox just fine, so that's probably not the root cause.  Thanks, though.  

Taidara - I unhooked my Xbox 360S that had been experiencing the issue and took it upstairs where the modem/router reside (and always have). I was planning on plugging it directly into the modem as you requested but tried to connect wirelessly in that room first.  It worked just fine - logged in my profile, connected to XBL, played online, etc.  Based on this, I didn't try the direct-to-modem connection.  

Keep in mind that when I first encountered the issue, I swapped out the router, replacing the Netgear WNDR3400 with a newer (supposedly gigabit wireless) Netgear R6300.  Both routers resulted in the issues I originally described in my original post.  

So does this squarely point the finger at my ISP (Time Warner)?  Have they done something to lessen our signal strength or somehow else throttle us back?  Or is it possible that my cable modem is going bad? (Keep in mind that other Internet connectivity except the Xbox Live service has been relatively fine throughout this entire situation)  

Thanks again to all for the help.  

Sorry this didn't help.

No connected devices, except for the Xbox, use port 3074. The port 3074 traffic is being delayed or blocked, by your modem, router, or ISP. You can run a test from a PC or Mac of port 3074 at http://canyouseeme.org

Sorry this didn't help.

Vibroplex - Interesting.  Thank you for that.  I ran that test from my laptop and received the following error:

Error: I could not see your service on 184.56.156.32 on port (3074)

Reason: Connection timed out

Is this something that I can self-service in my own router settings or do I need to raise it with my ISP?  The fact that it's it just suddenly started occurring on a specific date and that it impacts two different routers that I've tried makes me guess that it's the latter?  Thanks again.  

Sorry this didn't help.

1  Is UPnP enabled?

If so, turn it off, save changes, turn it back on.

If not, turn it on.

2 Port Forwarding is not a solution because you have two Xbox 360 consoles. Port Forwarding and DMZ are viable only for single-Xbox networks.

Sorry this didn't help.

UPnP was turned on and I did see an entry in the table for port 3074.  I turned it off and then turned it back on at the router level.  I'll have to reconnect the Xbox Slim in its original location and will check to see if this did the trick.  I'll be able to do so shortly this evening.  

Also, I had the other Xbox boxed up and not in use - pulled it out just for testing this situation.  I would be fine with a solution that allows only one Xbox if that's what it takes to get this resolved.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, turning UPnP off and on again did not solve the issue.  I'm still unable to connect using the 360 Slim from its original location.  

Also, I ran the Can You See Me port test again and it's still saying the same error message - that it can't see the service on that port because of a timeout.  

Sorry this didn't help.

i too am having this problem. i have read through this post and many others and there seems to be a lot of difficulty with xbl lately.

Sorry this didn't help.