xbox 360S disconnects - both wireless and wired.

I have a XBOX 306S and it has worked very well until yesterday. I mainly use the xbox as a upnp client for watching media from my twonky media server, yesterday when I sat down to watch a movie - I could not see the server, so I bounced twonky assuming that the server software was the issue and restarted the xbox to be sure.

Now I see the server and all the content is there, I start watching a movie and it stops after 30 seconds (and weirdly enough kicks me off xbox live).

At this point I start paying attention to what is really going on....so far these are the steps taken so I KNOW its the xbox....

1. Watch media on a second xbox in the house (old style external wireless) no issues.

2. Watch media on PS3 no issues.

3. Change from wireless network to another SSID within my network NO DICE !!!

4. Change for wireless to wired .... NO DICE !!!

5. Reset the network to factory settings ...... NO DICE !!!

6. Download a trial game from live (15 meg or so), to see if I can cause a network issue in some way ... seems to download fine ... but then after a while I see XBOX live go offline....

Ive watched the whole movie on my other xbox and ps3 no issus, wired connection doesn't help it not just wireless .... is it another heat issue ?.. 

The xbox is in a cabinet but the power supply is outside ... Ive moved it outside (very good ventilation, but the issue persists)...

Thoughts ???????

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Do you have the 4GB console or the 250GB?  If it's the 250, try taking the hard drive out and reseating it.  If you have any other storage devices attached, unplug those.  It's probably not going to make a difference since the same issue is happening wired, but you could also try using that external adapter on this Xbox to see if the issue persists.

You could also try copying a movie to a flash drive and playing it from that to see if the same thing happens.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

it was a 4GB, but is now 250GB, Ive run the content off a flash drive no issue. I removed the hard drive .... and same issue occurred - the only difference is it happened sooner, this time network error occurred before watching any content .

I tend to think its a network hardware issue .....

Sorry this didn't help.

At this point, after having my first console (first gen) going RROD on me, now it looks like this one has died, Ive bought 3 total and now only have 1 operational ..... all the time the PS3 just keeps kicking on. Microsoft is making it hard.....

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I put the hard drive back in, now it fails the same as if the hard drive wasn't there ...... it tries to play for a 15 seconds or so I guess then .... "Unplayable content" error yadda yadda comes up ....

Sorry this didn't help.

It's definitely sounding like a possible network card issue.  Do you have netflix/hulu that you can test to see how long it streams?  If not, you could download crackle or youtube and try to play a video from there.

Sorry this didn't help.