Xbox 360s and Wireless (802.11ac) issues (SOLVED?!)

I believe that there are major incompatibilities with 360s and 1st-gen 802.11ac routers.  The short version is, don't use either Asus RT-AC66u or Netgear R6300 if you want to stream video from a Windows PC wirelessly to a 360s, ESPECIALLY MCE.  Yes, I know the 360s integrated wireless is never going to take advantage of ac, it is 2.4GHz N, but the point is I couldn't even get 10Mbps out of it with these two routers.  The 2.4GHz (N) support in these routers is poor IMO.

Longer version:

I posted a while back(1 yr. or more and cannot find the thread) that I was having major issues with my (4) 360s consoles that I occasionally game on but mostly use as Media Center Extenders.  This started when I upgraded from a Netgear WNDR3700v2 (dual band N router) that worked fine for streaming(I wanted more speed for sharing an HD TV tuner to a wireless PC in my kitchen though) with either Netgear firmware or DD-WRT.

I bought both the R6300 and the RT-AC66u as they were the hottest thing (just)out and supported new 802.11ac.  The consoles dropped basic connections all the time and streaming MCE was basically a black screen with some glitchy audio before the whole thing just stopped.  Tried all the latest firmware, and even DD-WRT on the RT-AC66u, changed every setting I could find(even those I know would make no difference) just to try to make a difference, ANY difference.  Not once did these devices act right together.  Back to the WNDR3700v2 and all was back to "normal," with normal but infrequent wireless headaches.

Two weeks ago I bought the Netgear R7000 and I can tell you it has been FLAWLESS.  I have had (4) 360s consoles all streaming different live HD channels(HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz, for example) at the same time and not even a hint of lag or drop.

Again, I know that the Xbox doesn't support ac, but what I am telling you is that the implementation of 802.11n/2.4GHz on this router is fantastic and worth the $$ even if you don't have/require 802.11ac.

The guys in this forum gave me some good advice on things to check when I originally threw my hands up over this issue so I figured I would contribute in turn since I /kinda/ figured out my problem.  Anyone have questions, feel free..  My setup is:

(3) 360s mfg date ~09/2011, (1) 360s mfg date ~2010.  Netgear R7000 with latest NG firmware, Ceton InfiniTV 6 (Ethernet version), Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.  All working /really/ well for the first time in a long time I think.

Later.

Chris

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 349 Applies to:

802.11ac is still under full development and the final standard is expected to be completed in the beginning of next year, 2014. All new solutions that are enrolled in the standard, 802.11ac, has not yet been implemented. Most routers that you see on the market today, are based on a preliminary version of the 802.11ac industry specification.

Thank you for sharing this! Much appreciated. :) 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.