Xbox 360 won't allow me to install games

I have an Xbox 360 Slim with a 250 gb memory unit. I have about 80 gbs of free space left but whenever I try to install a game into the hard drive, I get the message 'Disc cannot be read. Please clean disc with a cloth.' or something along those lines. It has done this to me before but I just keep trying over and over and after about the tenth time the game finally installs.The percentage at times can go all the way to 90% or other time 18% and then just repeat the message then I have to start all over again.

Also the game I am trying is brand new, just out of the box. I have tried to play it before installing it and it gave me the message above and throws me out of the game.

I was wondering if it has to do with the disc drive.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

More likely to do with the hard drive actually

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So what would be a fix? Getting a new hard drive?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you order your Hard Drive from Microsoft/come with the Console or did you order it from a third party? Third party HDDs are known to have problems like these. And the disc not being read, I would say that it is your optical drive failing. If you have accidentally scratched the lens on the laser in the optical drive, maybe when putting a disc in, it can cause this for example. It could also be age causing the failure.

-

If you are still under warranty, I would shoot for a replacement Console in whole (but save your data to a thumb drive or a computer before sending it in, so you can move it to your new Console).

-

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

You know I actually missed the part about the disc read error when just playing it... so yeah, potentially an optical drive issue.  As nVo Fusion suggested you should probably request service.

Also don't back up data to your PC, this is against the ToU agreement and you'd need third party software to even do it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with what Visage said, actually you should use Xbox's cloud service to back up your game data. That is offered directly by Microsoft and does not violate the agreement.

Sorry this didn't help.