Xbox 360 Wireless controller slow down games on Windows 8 x64

Hi guys, i've just purchased a Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows . I'm using Windows 8 x64, Windows recognizes it automatically and works when I plug the receiver and pair the control. The problem is when I play games it turns slow in a random way and it fixes just touching the mouse :S. I tried with 2 games so far : Amnesia a machine for pigs and Fifa 12 and happens exactly the same with both. Also i've installed the software coming with controller but i've got the same result.

The computer widely meet hardware specifications required for both titles and this happens no matter the quality settings configured on games. The laptop is a Lenovo Y400 with a core i7 processor (8 cores, 2,4 Ghz) , 16 GB Ram and NVidia GeForce GT 6500M with 2 GB dedicated memory.

PD: I posted this on Windows forum but they redirect me here.

I appreciate your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 150 Applies to:

Hey there jhenao!

I'm sorry to hear about the controller issues. Let's see what we can do to get things sorted.

Can you tell us exactly what's happening here? Are you saying that with the controller plugged in your character will turn slowly one direction and you can fix this by touching the mouse?

Let us know exactly what's happening and we'll work with you from there! =)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Jhenao,

the Xbox controller is not yet compatible with windows 8, try and see if you can update the drivers for the controller. my friends and I have the same problem so we all went back to windows 7.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mr. Cerb,  that is what happens, is simple but frustrating: I start a game and at some point (not always the same) fluency reduces dramatically (the FPS reduce like if computer were not capable enough to run the game) and just a little mouse touch is enough to fix the problem, obviously is a frustrating solution being 2 meters away from laptop and has no point be close to the laptop using a wireless controller (obvious reasons).

You can try to reproduce this issue in that way, i really apreciate your feedback, roll back to Windows 7 is not a option for me becouse i need hyper-v (not all is games in my laptop).

Regards,

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey jhenao,

Just to double check, have you run the install of the controller for Windows 8 using the steps listed in our Connect Xbox 360 controller to PC article?

Are you able to try a different controller on your PC or try your controller on a console to see if it might just be an issue with the controller itself?

Please let us know and we'll go from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mr Fizzle, that article is for wired control, i'm using a wireless control. Anyway i've already tried the software included with control and I tried to update driver but Windows says me that i have the latest one.

Seems like the problem here is with Windows 8, i tried with another gamepad and the same happen. Is there something wrong in Windows 8 ?, why you guys of both teams talk to solve the problem because seems like i'm not the only one with the same problem and you are losing gamers on Windows 8. Is easy to reproduce, and please don't redirect me to windows forum again, from there I come.

Regards,I would appreciate soon feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again jhenaoGaming!

Since you've tried it on multiple Windows 8 computers, it does look like the HE6LLSP6AWN6 is on the right track here. The Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP. It seems like this is simply a compatibility issue with your operating system.

Are you able to try a wired controller to see if that fits your needs better?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I wanted to add to this, I've got exactly the same problem with Windows 8. I have both a wired and wireless controller. I installed the Windows 8.1 update, and it has been ok for a few days. Now I have this random slow down problem that goes away when the mouse is moved or keyboard is pressed. It happens when playing games or watching a video in a browser.

I reinstalled Windows to Windows 8 and it was ok, I then updated to Win 8.1 again and the problem returned.

My computer should have no problem, Intel i7, 8GB ram, Geforce 650 Ti Boost.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Contra,

Sorry to hear you're having issue with your controllers on 8.1.

As Mister Cerb said, there is most likely a compatibility issue as the Wired and Wireless Xbox controllers as it is not compatible past Windows 7.

For further assistance, I would contact Windows Support.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I have the same problem and I am using Windows 7 x64. When try to play my games with wireless controller my games are slowing down after couple minutes and when I click my mouse button or any button on my keyboard its running normal again.Its really annoying and I really can't find a solution anywhere.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with me too. I am using Windows 8.1 installed on my Macbook Pro.

Sorry this didn't help.