xbox 360 vpn Internet Connection Sharing

alright, I've been looking around online for a while now and i cannot find a solution to my problem leading me to this post any help is greatly appreciated and i am open to any suggestions, thank you for your time.

when i try to connect to live i get dns error, it says my router may not be automatically providing dns settings

*note*-under network connections > local area connection > properties > IPv4 manual assign ip 192.168.137.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway:Blank Dns:192.168.137.1

- xbox settings are set to automatic

-everything else is left untouched pretty much

Current Setup: Modem > Router > Router 2(connected to router 1, NOT modem/landline) > PC > Xbox 360 

i have local area connection 2(vpn) Sharing it's connection with local area connection(xbox) via (ICS)

i've got it to work with the automatic settings, it's just that i have to restart my computer and reconnect to the vpn if i lose connection with xbox live i.e sign out restart ect.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 181 Applies to:

Greetings!

I'm not sure if I fully understand your topology, but to start with, why do you have two routers, or NAT devices?

Do you need to use your computer to share connectivity for your console?

Can you be a bit more specific regarding your VPN Connections, and how these two are setup.

[quote user="BootyDefiler"]*note*-under network connections > local area connection > properties > IPv4 manual assign ip 192.168.137.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway:Blank Dns:192.168.137.1[/quote]If you try to manually assign your console static, or fixed IP settings, then you're doing it wrong. The uniquely assigned IP for your console can't be the same as the IP for your DNS server. It's more common that you use your gateway's cached DNS server, to resolve names.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

my landline plugs into the modem, then my modem is plugged into my 1st router which is downstairs then there is a ethernet cable from my 1st router connecting into the wall, i am upstairs where i have a cable coming from the wall into my second router which is the one i use for all my wireless devices. the connection from my Primary router downstairs is running to my secondary router upstairs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks!

Can you post up the make and model of the two routers and your modem as well. If these two are truly routers, or NAT devices, can you also tell us If they are operating as routers/NAT.

You mentioned something about being Tunneled through VPN, can you in more detail describe how you connect to this service.

Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

Sorry this didn't help.

1st router (Downstairs):Netgear wgr614v10

2nd router (Upstairs): Netgear Nighthawk x6

Modem:ubee u10co18.80

also forgot to mention i have to ethernet switches idk if it means anything

D-Link DSS-8+ 10/100

linksys se2800

the vpn? it's got it's own client so all i do is select the server i want to join and connect

my ISP is time warner cable

Sorry this didn't help.

i know the vpn works it has pptp, like i said i've managed to get it to work it's just i have to keep restarting my computer everytime i lose connection to XBL.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wouldn't recommend running your Xbox 360 through a tunneled service, nor through ICS on a Windows machine, nor the outdated and unsecure PPTP for VPN, which in today's standard is no longer recommended.

I wouldn't recommend having two routers/NAT devices on the same subnet, or on the same local network. You should choose one of these two devices as your primary router and have the secondary router operating as a wireless accesspoint. By configuring the secondary router as a wireless accesspoint, its decision are no longer being based on routing, or address translation. Instead, its decision are exclusevily based, for the wireless interface as a hub (layer 1) and on the Ethernet interface as a bridge (layer 2).

Most wireless routers in todays market are capable of being configured as a wireless access Point, or even a wireless bridge (if needed).

I don't know how your switches are being set up, but I would at least have one of these connected the very same way as where your second router connects today.

If I were to draw a topology for your network, I would have the modem where it sits today (of course). The next link in the chain would of course be your primary router. You mentioned having an Ethernet Cable connected to your primary router downstairs and then all the way up to the top floor. At this Point, this is where you connect your switch. Then from the switch, connect your wireless accesspoint, to range to wireless devices that are outside of your primary routers wireless range. If it's possible, wire your console to the switch.

Sorry this didn't help.