xbox 360 slim wont recognize my hard drive

i got a new hard drive for my xbox 360 slim and when i put it in the bottom slot where its supposed to go it dosent appear on my memory settings or i cant select to save games to it . ive tried mutiple times taking it out and inserting it again. why wont it recognize it?

thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 113 Applies to:

Found this on the support page

-The console does not detect the hard drive

If your Xbox 360 console does not detect an attached hard drive, try the following:

Turn your console off and then on again.

Make sure your hard drive is installed correctly by removing and adding your hard drive back again.

If you have another hard drive, try it with your console.

Replace your hard drive. You can order a replacement Xbox 360 Hard Drive from the Xbox Online Service Center. Console registration is required to replace a hard drive under warranty (the hard drive warranty is the same as your console warranty).

If the above steps don’t resolve the problem, repair your console (sign in with your Windows Live ID, if prompted).

But in the steps where it asks to send to microsoft... if its a new hard drive just bring it back to the store and swap it out for new one if you have not stored anything onto it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is it a new style hard drive or a hard drive for the original xbox? Did you buy it new or used? I ask because I bought a used 60 GB hard drive for my slim,and the first one didn't work.I had to exchange it at my retailer for one that did work. That could be your isuue (as madman suggested).

Sorry this didn't help.

I need help with that to and I've done what u said except buy a new one. I can't get rid of mine it's a 250 GB hard drive and I've had it since 09 how else can u fix it

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem i need help i called the xbox live support and they said to format it but how of its not ahowing up?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. It was showing before, but now just disappeared.  I tried removing and adding multiple times. I cannot format it because it does not show up. I cannot say for sure when it disappeared.  However I just went to play a game and it asked to update.  I even tried removing all the past updates. Still no luck. I just bought both the Xbox 360 and hard drive within the last month or so.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, guys! Very sorry to see any issues you may be running into! This thread is almost 3 years old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)

Sorry this didn't help.