XBox 360 Slim Wireless Card not detected. Please help!

So, I bought a slim a few years back, after having my old XBox, which replaced my original Elite that crapped out on me. Recently, I noticed that my network kept dropping. After resetting my router and rebooting the XBox, all was well. I figured one of the devices probably just needed dhcp refreshed/renewed so it could grab a new ip address. However, then things got a bit weirder. It would drop off-line at random times and then sometimes, we would start it up and it wouldn't work for a number of hours. We would watch a DVD or something and after an hour or so, it would come back up and this was happening nearly every single day.

Then one day, I couldn't get it to work at all. Ran a 25' ethernet able across the living room and it worked fine. There are no obstructions and there is nothing but air between my router and XBox. There are a number of overlapping APs and I have my router set to channel 11 to avoid most of it.

When I select wireless and try to default the wireless network, none show up. I used to be able to see every wireless connection in the neighborhood. I live in an apartment complex that has quite a few other AP's around and I can see them with my wireless tools, laptop, and phone just fine.

When I select Wireless to find my access point with the XBox, it tells me that I need a wireless adapter and will not detect any other AP's around me. It is as though it isn't even plugged in.

So, being that my XBox is most likely out of warranty anyway, I tried a few things. I read that sometimes having it plugged into a bad wall outlet could cause it to lack enough power for the wireless card, so I attempted another wall jack. I also read that sometimes HDMI can cause an issue so I went back to standard VGA. I read that sometimes re-seating the 250GB HDD can do the trick so I attempted to pull that out and re-seat it. Nothing worked, so I pulled off the side panel and removed the internal wireless card and re-seated it. Still nothing. We used to have a Play and Trade that could fix issues like this, but they recently went out of business.

At this point, it kind-of narrows the potential problems down to a bad card, a bad internal bus, or a bad connector. I've seen a card on Amazon but they cost about $55 or so and I don't want to spend that much just to find out that it might be a bad connector.

So here is what I'm running:

XBox 360, 250 GB Slim with Internal Wireless Adapter. It is the shiny one and the HDD was NOT purchased separate.

Motorolla SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem

Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G router

I use Cable One as my ISP service and I have the 5MB cable only plan.

I have also opened all necessary ports, switched channels to avoid overlap, and have it secured with WPA2 with WEP encryption. I normally hide my SSID and use MAC address filtering for all devices and also allow DHCP to only use up to 7 or so ip addresses for wireless and the rest are all on static IP addresses to keep things smooth and stable, however I have disabled these functions for the time being to test the device out.

Is there a way that I can purchase JUST the card on the cheap or to test the card to see if it is malfunctioning? Is there something that I may have disabled or a system file that could have become corrupted?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 117 Applies to:

Hey there Mob!

First of, thanks for all this info you've given us! I like being able to see what all has been tried when I look at an issue. It definitely helps us help you more quickly.

From what all you describe, it definitely looks like an issue with your wireless card to me, which is something that would be covered by an official repair. I'm sorry to say though, since you've opened your console, it is no longer eligible for an official repair. Here's a link to our Warranty FAQ if you have any questions. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm surprised that the Mister missed it, but pulling open your console and accessing the wireless card yourself not only voids any remaining warranty, but is an unauthorized opening of the hardware which can also lead to a ban.

Self repair is a violation of the TOU.

Sorry this didn't help.

oops, my bad, he did catch it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone... plse?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doh, didn't see that you guys replied. Well, it is already out of warranty to my understanding anyway, which is why I opened the side panel.

I'm not looking to modify the XBox in any way whatsoever. I'm looking to fix the issue. It is out of warranty and I can't afford a new XBox. I've literally gone through 3 of these things. My elite red-ringed after warranty was up, my second box was stolen, and my third now has a wireless issue. I'm an, honest,  trained IT professional. Play and Trade fixed these things on a regular basis around here and I have as much knowledge as they probably do. We had guys fix these things out our college on a regular basis and sometimes as a class project.

Sending it in for repairs wastes valuable time for both parties. Being that this device just uses a simple USB style port and plugs in, it is a VERY simple fix. I just need a replacement part.and I am willing to pay for it.

Growing up, I knew guys that were pros at putting them back together and getting them repaired/replaced by Microsoft, and I knew guys that would make claims to Game Crazy and other places that their XBox was broken and needed to be replaced when their hardware was not damaged at all so that they could get their warranty renewed every year. They would literally wait until the day it ran out and do this every year or so.

I'm trying to be an honest customer/IT professional, who is willing to pay for the component and shipping, just so I can quickly resolve the issue. If not, I can run an ethernet cable through the house, but I would rather not, since my wife and i are starting a family this year and we really don't want kids falling over cables.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sending for repairs or buying new are the only options. Repair out of warranty has a price tag, but since you already opened it yourself they probably wont even take it.

I'm not trying to be mean or rude or anything like that, but it looks like you can only plug directly for a connection with this xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm, I have seen replacement cards on Amazon.com though? I was just hoping I could find it directly from the source. I didn't take anything you said as mean or offensive. It is just how businesses operate. Sadly, IT guys get to see these things come into their shops on almost a daily basis because they are out of warranty and people don't really want to ship off their console to get repaired. I only try to fix the issue if it is out of warranty and if I can find an official replacement component. I've seen DVD drives being sold on Amazon and other places, as is this card among other internal replacement components. I don't really like dishing out a bunch of money for someone else to fix something that I can easily fix myself for free.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again Mob!

I can certainly understand wanting to fix things yourself (I have that trait in me as well). However, with Xbox 360 consoles/accessories, only official repairs are authorized. Since you've opened your console yourself, it is no longer eligible for an official repair (as I'm sure you understand).

That being said, doing unofficial repairs (like replacing it with a wireless card from Amazon) can also result in console bans if detected. Since using after market parts on your console is also a violation of the Terms of Use, if detected it could cause the entire console to be banned.

I truly am sorry to tell you that your only official option that's available with your console would be running a wired connection. You can obviously also purchase a new console if you wish, but we don't recommend trying any self-repairs.

I hope that helps at least clear things up. =)

Sorry this didn't help.