Xbox 360 Slim will not recognize 250G HDD! ..again.

I had this problem a few months ago, my 360 won't recognize my HDD! Again!
I don't know what's caused the problem to come back but, here we are.
So! The issue is that the console suggests that it needs an update, but that my HDD
doesn't have enough free memory. It super does, is the thing. I forget how we fixed it
last time, but it was not a lasting fix, it seems. And I am NOT formatting. Noooooo.

Please help? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I'm sorry to say it but formatting your hard drive again will not fix the issue you are having.  If your hard drive keeps showing as unformatted then it has developed a hardware issue and there is no way to fix this problem in the long term. Even if you manage to get it work again, I guarantee it will stop working again soon after.  You will have to buy a new hard drive I'm afraid.

These issues often occur when users purchase third party non official Xbox 360 hard drives from private sellers on eBay, Amazon etc.  These cheap drives are not approved by Microsoft.  There is no guarantee how long they will last, or if they were even 'new' in the first place.  For optimum performance and to prevent these types of issues, it is recommended that you only buy hard drives made by Microsoft.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No, this is the hard drive that came with the Xbox, and there was a way to fix it for at least a while last time.

Were I able to find my old thread, I'd just use that. Let me be clear; the hard drive worked perfectly fine before and IS a registered Microsoft product. There was a way to get the console to allow me to use it again, I just need those same instructions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this your old thread? http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/p/1419777/3553299.aspx

Do you move your console around a lot?  If your console is always in the same place, you shouldn't need to keep removing the hard drive to get it working again.  There is a fault somewhere, either with your hard drive or the console.  It is not normal for an official Xbox hard drive to have these types of problems.

Please let us know if this worked again.

Sorry this didn't help.