Xbox 360 slim rejects uninstalled discs as unreadable

Hi,

I'm having problems with my xbox 360 slim. When I put in a disc that isn't installed to the console's hard drive, 95% of the time an error message pops up saying the disc is unreadable. When I bring up the game details from the home screen, the xbox correctly identifies what game I have in the system and any games that are installed to the hard drive work fine. On rare occasions, the console will read games and allow games to be installed to the hard drive. I'm guessing that this issue is caused by the disc drive being out of alignment or the disc laser being dirty, but maybe someone more experienced can provide more insight. I have tried the suggestions listed here(http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/disc-drive/disc-drive-solution) and none of these have worked. Are there any other fixes that I can make myself or do I have to get my console repaired? My console is no longer under warranty and it'd be nice to avoid an expensive repair

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

I would probably recomend you go to GameStop and just ask before how much the repair would cost. You definently need to repair it or fix it. You can also contact Xbox Tech. and see If they can assist you at all. I hope you find a soultion to help you. I write back If I find out anything new on your issue. BYE.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Schadigung,

Since you have already tried the steps on the Disc Drive Solution I do have one other suggestion.  Have you tried removing the hard drive/storage devices and then attempting to see if the console will recognize/play the disc.  Give this a shot and let us know how it goes.

In the end if the above has no effect it may just come down to you having to send your console in for repair.  You can do so here.

Sorry this didn't help.

I chatted with Xbox support and they said the only option was to send it in for repair. I tried booting the system without the hard drive and it still gave me the unrecognized disc error. Since the system still plays all the games installed, I'm not sure it's worth it to send the console in for repair. Thanks for all the advice

Sorry this didn't help.