Xbox 360 Slim - Red Dot Issue on Brand New system

I recently (Nov. 1, 2011) purchased an Xbox 360 for my 7 year old son for Christmas.  For the last 6 months I have listened to him talk about nothing more than Santa bringing him an Xbox 360.  So with great excitement I purchased the Xbox 4GB kinect bundle with 12 month Xbox live subscription for $360.00.  I also purchased the 320 GB hard drive for an additional $130.00.  I added a fan for cooling purposes at $20 and spent another $300.00 to $400.00 in games and other accessories (storage, headsets).  My son was ecstatic to open his Xbox 360 and overjoyed.  He played for a few hours before our Christmas turned into a nightmare.  First, the system froze and we took a break for 2 hours.  We decided to try again, this time, in addition to freezing again; the picture looked like tire marks across the screen as if I drove over it with my car, then the red dot appeared again.  I spent about 30 minutes waiting to speak with a Microsoft technician only to be told that my brand new system that had only been out of the box for a few hours would need to be sent to Microsoft for 2 to 3 weeks to be repaired.  Guess what happens next?  After about an hour on the phone with a Microsoft technician I was disconnected and needed to start the process over again.  All my friends raved about the Xbox 360 system and told me that once I purchased the Xbox 360 I would toss my Wii out.  Based on their rave reviews I decided to get the Xbox 360.  Boy do I regret it now.  And thank goodness I did not give the Wii away because I was able to salvage a few hours of fun with my son after the most frustrating Christmas ever!!  Now every 2 hours my son keeps asking can I try to play my Xbox 360 again.  I can't really bear to let him try anymore because every time he gets that red light he's so disappointed.  Boy don't I wish I would have kept my hard earned money in my pocket.  To make matters worse I was told by Microsoft that store that sold me the unit reported the date of sell as January 5, 2012 and as a result they can’t do a repair order on an item that has not technically been sold since it is still 2011.  Now the issue of the date needs to be escalated to another team at Microsoft and it can take up to another 14 days to have the date issue fixed before the repair order can be processed.  After the date is updated then they will be able to process the repair order and I can then ship it in for another 2-3 weeks for a repair.  So this process will take (5) five weeks at least to rectify.  I'm so frustrated, disappointed, angry I can't even think straight.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

You can still return it to the org store you purchased it to for an exchange, they should be ok with is since its part of the holiday season. Then you will only be out for the trip to and from the store.

Wait they show it a Sale date of 2012?? Microsoft usually goes by the manufatures date for repairs.

What store did you purchase this console from?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bought it online and they have decided not to stock the item anymore.  So I can get a refund, but not a replacement.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Money! I'm very sorry to hear about your console not working properly. I'd like to try to help get this resolved for you if I can. I'd like to take a look at your call so far. Can you PM me (envelope icon below) the reference number from the call, your GT, and a link to this thread. While I'm looking in to that, could you try calling up phone support again to set up a repair. Perhaps asking to speak to a supervisor might help jumpstart the process. Let me know what you find out and I'll be back in touch with you after reviewing your account. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

same thing happened to me

Sorry this didn't help.

you really should create a new thread instead of bumping one from 11 months ago

Sorry this didn't help.