Xbox 360 Slim rebooting

OK, I have a 4GB Slim model (but it has the 250GB hard drive added) and also have the Kinect.
For the most part it works fine.  My son plays his Call of Duty and Left 4 Dead games for hours at a time and no issues, and the games I have played have worked fine for me as well.

My wife, on the other hand, has been trying to play Your Shape: Fitness Evolved and is coming close to throwing the 360 out the window!  She has a new routine set up where she has 10 workouts back-to-back, and it's set up to track her calorie burn and meet challenges and such.  

She gets through about 7 of the 10 challenges and the Xbox just reboots on her.  No errors, no messages, no freezing or glitching, just a reboot without warning.  It doesn't save her progress in the game either, so she has to start it all over!  It has happened every time times she has tried to do it.

I thought it may be something to do with the Kinect sensor drawing too much power from the console, since the console has always worked fine when we play other games, so I tried plugging the Kinect into its wall AC adapter, but that didn't change anything. 

I was thinking it was just her game at that point, but I was watching Netflix on it, the episode of the show I was watching ended and I went to the computer to check my email.  I came back to find the console had rebooted itself on me too!  It was just sitting idle at the Netflix episode select screen!  I have also had it happen several times just sitting idle at the dashboard.  

I have also tried a different HDMI cable, a different HDMI port on the TV, I tried a different outlet, I cleared out the system cache (this allowed my wife to get through her workout for the first time, but have still had reboots since.)  

Last night I left it running on the dashboard to see if it was still happening, only to wake up this morning to the "red dot of death!"

Sorry for the wall of text, but I want to be thorough in what happened.  Please bear in mind that it's a solid half hour of strenuous excercise for my wife to "test to see if it it still doing it."  Any ideas what could be going on?  I'm starting to think I have a defective console....  Thanks for any help!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 36 Applies to:

u might want pull your hard drive out and see if the problem still happening if it stop during you taking the hard drive out, than try to put it back in and make sure it sitting in there correctly and if the problem come back, then it might be your harddrive. but if it still happening without the harddrive, than it the console it self, taking it back to where you got it depend on how long you have it

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It actually did turn out to be a defective hard drive.  I pulled it and ran diagnostics on it and it had numerous errors.

Replaced the hard drive and no further errors!

Sorry this didn't help.

glad to help.

Sorry this didn't help.