XBox 360 Slim "Open Tray" System Returned as Tampered

Let me say first that I have never, nor will I ever try and tamper with my XBox, I have  several gold memberships, and prefer not to be banned as I play online many hours per week. After about 11 months of no problems, I sent in my XBox Slim when it started displaying the "Open Tray" problem. Before I did, I took several photos of the console to show the condition of the system and tamper stickers, as I had an issue with another company in the past. It was sent back to me the same day it arrived with the "tampered" letter. I inspected the console, and found that the tamper sticker on the back had been gouged (and had 2 red arrow stickers pointing to it) and the bottom of the console had been gouged. This was NOT the condition it was sent out in. I called customer support and was told that there had recently been several Slims with the same "tampered" issue, and that 2 of the 4 the rep had been involved in resulted in warranty repairs. He also said that they would contact me in 48 hours, which they did, and told me that the repair center disagreed with my statement, even with photographic proof that the console had been sent in without tampering. The rep went on to say that because it had been flagged as tampered that I could not even PAY to get the console repaired by microsoft out-of-warranty. The first supervisor that I was able to speak with confirmed their "will not repair" position, even after again explaining that I had taken photos before packing up the system to send. He explained that they COULD push for a repair, but that it would make the repair department feel that they were questioning their honesty and repair policies. Later I attempted 3 more times to speak with another supervisor regarding the matter, the first of which was "unavailable" because they were all in a meeting, the second rang and rang for 5 minutes without ever answering, and the third hung up as soon as the call went through to his office. All of these calls were directed through India. I finally got through to a US rep, and was again told that my system was flagged as tampered, and that they would not repair it. He suggested I speak to one of the hardware supervisors in India yet again, or to try and contact the retailer I purchased the unit from nearly a year ago (I tried). Now I have this wonderful $300 paperweight unless I want to pay an outside party to repair it, which I obviously don't feel that I should have to.

Anyway, good luck to anyone else who has this issue... You'll need it!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Do the photos you have clearly show the serial number on the console? That is to say, is there a way for the agents to identify the photos as definitively being from your console?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I do have at least one clear photo of the serial number, but not one person I spoke with seemed to believe that it mattered.

Sorry this didn't help.

Than it would have to be taken up with the shipping company

Sorry this didn't help.

If you bought it on a credit card, you may have extra warranty protection on the device. See what they can offer you.

Sorry this didn't help.

they will win ps3 or microsoft they are to big

Sorry this didn't help.

There is always the possibility of sabotage between you and the repair centre, But policy is policy. Do the Photos have time stamps on them? It would help your case. It is going to be hard to get this resolved tho. E-mail them in the pics after ringing them again and tell them what you want to at least be givin the oppertunity to contest the flag against your Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Garys Xbox, it's been over two months. TX DROPSHOT 956 revived an old thread.

Ignore it. It'll go away.

Sorry this didn't help.

My mate had this about a year ago and just recently (2months ago), they found out it wast tampered with and sent him a brand new console with a 12 month xbl subscription. Also i dont know if you can but if you have proof is it possible to sue them?

are your photos time stamped/Date ?

Sorry this didn't help.