Xbox 360 slim Keeps Freezing

A couple days ago I started up my xbox 360 slim normally(bought it in fall of 2011) and decided to play Thief for the first time.  When I started it up my xbox crashed and I had to restart it, only to have it freeze when I got to the dashboard.  I restarted my console more times then I could count and it would keep freezing, sometimes not even reaching the dashboard.  Every once in a while it would tell me that there were corrupt files and that I needed to get a system update to fix it, but as soon as it was finished my xbox would just freeze again. If I left it off and unplugged long enough then I could mess with the settings for a minute or two, but that was it.

So far after looking at other people's advice I tried it without my 250gb hard drive and it worked but if I used any other storage devices even if they were configured and formatted the console would still just freeze. I've cleared the cache on my hard drive and even moved game saves over to the cloud then formatted it.  After that the console was a little bit less laggy and I could go about 5 minutes without it freezing, but it still didn't fix the issue.  Because of this I assume it's the xbox itself that's the problem but nothing is near it and nothing is covering the fan, and I even rubbed it with a dry cloth to get rid of the dust, but it still won't work.

I've realized that I'll probably have to get my console repaired(off warranty) or buy a new one but before I do that I wanted to ask other people so if anyone could help that would be fantastic so thank you. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:
Answer

Alright, try to unplug all your devices, any HDD, USB drives, Kinect, etc. Boot up with that, put a game in and play it for a while. If nothing happens, then it's your accessories causing the issue. If it's freezing with nothing attached to it, then it needs to be sent in for repair. If it isn't, re-add each of your devices and figure out which one is causing the freezing. Disconnect your console from the internet as well, as sometimes the Xbox's software pauses when waiting for a response from Xbox Live, and if it doesn't get one, it just waits forever.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.