xbox 360 slim hard drive unformatted

i recently bought a pre-owned 360 slim with a 250g hard drive, now for the first 2 days it worked perfectly but when I powered it up on day 3 it stayed on the logo screen longer that usual and when it finally got to the dashboard it wanted me to do a system update but I couldn't because I did not have enough memory so I looked at the memory and it said unformatted and it seems to be doing this every two days and I have no idea why. everything is connected properly the xbox should be fine otherwise they would not have sold it to me and I was able to transfer the saves and everything from my previous console fine no corrupt files or  error messages when i first set it up. pls help. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I was able to find this in the support section for xbox 360.

I’m being prompted to format my hard drive

If you are using a non-Microsoft (counterfeit) hard drive, the device may appear as “unformatted” and you may be prompted to format the hard drive. Try disconnecting your hard drive and then reconnecting it to see if it solves the problem. Also, try to clear the cache on the hard drive. If these methods don’t solve the problem, contact Xbox Support.

Note Always use Microsoft authorized products for the best gaming experience.

Hopefully this helps with your problem. The number to reach xbox support is 1-800-4my-xbox.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Small addition:

If you format the hard drive and this happens again after a few days, there is likely something wrong with the hard drive. Like mentioned by Spike68 the best thing to do is to contact Xbox Support like mentioned on this link: support.xbox.com/.../hard-drive

Be aware that the Phone number for Xbox Support is different per country, so use this link to get the Phone number for the country linked to your account: support.xbox.com/contact-us or use support.xbox.com/contact-us to find other ways to contact Xbox Support

Sorry this didn't help.

this helped lots

thank you :D

Sorry this didn't help.