Xbox 360 Slim dust...

Just recently got the Slim, where I have the system it's quite dusty. I was just curious how much of a problem dust can cause since I lay my console flat instead of upright, since it's 1000% quieter when a disk is spinning inside and I don't have to worry about the disks getting scratched up or anything, and on the Slims the top of it, where the dust lands, has the vents, whereas the old consoles had the vents on the side and back. I do install the games to the hard drive so they don't spin while I'm playing them, but when I want to watch a DVD, there's nothing I can do about that. So I was just curious if there was something I can do, or something I should do. I noticed that one of those after market cooling fans would help with the problem since it covers the vent from being exposed directly on top, BUT I've also hears a lot of mixed reviews about them, the fact that they do cover a lot of the vent has a lot of people saying they do as much harm as they do good. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 33 Applies to:

Never get one of the third party coolers.  They have been known to fry the xbox by forcing the system to use more power.  If something happens while using an intercooler, Microsoft will not cover the warranty.

As for the dust problem, either you should keep the area cleaner or find a different place to store your system as the dust can have an adverse affect if left too long.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I do my best to lower the dust, I have nowhere else I'd be able to keep the Xbox at the moment, I guess I'll just cover it when I'm not using it.  Is it a problem to keep the new slims flat? I've heard different things about it, some people say the way it's set up that the system will actually run hotter while it's flat, doesn't make sense to me though considering heat rises, wouldn't having the vent on top actually be a little better?

Sorry this didn't help.

As long as you don't let the dust build up you'll be fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I prefer to lay mine flat as opposed to standing it up.  There is less chance of damage to the discs if the system is laying down.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks alot

Sorry this didn't help.