Xbox 360 Slim 4 Gig Odd Noise

I orginally got my xbox 360 slim in december of 2010, Around march when playing black ops it started making a loud noise that would last a few seconds and go away. i've noticed it only does this when the console is hot or warm. It also does this at start up when the console is warm but goes away after a few seconds. I sent it in to the repair center in Texas and when I got the console back, the issue was not solved. I'm just curious if anyone else has this problem? so far the console runs just fine, the noise is just rather annoying. and it was super disappointing to get it back late march and see that it was not fixed. if anyone has input please let me know. I'd like to finally know whats up. have a good rest of your morning/night everybody! and happy e3!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hi, I seem to have the same problem, although its not a perminant fix i have found that hoovering all vents does prevent the noise for a while, unfortunatly the noise will start again a few weeks later, its really annoying to be honest considering one of the main selling points for the xbox s was aparently being whisper quiet, mine hasnt been since day one. Anyway I hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

what do you mean by hoovering?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, my xbox does a rlly loud noise when playing hard-core loaders games like gears of war 1 & 2, bayonetta, Black ops, games that force the system to constantly read the disc, I found that, lesser graphics games like dance central(kinect) or Resident Evil 5, are quiet while playing, also, I don't hv a HDD on my system, but many ppl say that installing the game would solve the problem since the system won't be reading the disc that much, idk if this is true, but I'm gonna need to find it out by buying a HDD by tomorrow, when I get it, I would return here to write down my results.

cheers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Definitely try installing games to your hard drive to see that helps! It certainly cuts down on the disc noise. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

And the results are: Noise was reduced almost 60% when the game is installed on the HDD (also, 250GBHDD r 20% off in waxxxrt and bextBxy :D), however, my XBOX start to make more noise and always happen when playing gears of war, yesterday, i brought my GOW to my friend's xbox and no loud sound came out of his xbox, so, today I returned my xbox (cuz i was within the store 30-days-guaranty) and try Gears of war on my brand new xbox, the sound was similar but a much lower(I mean lower noise), then after my HDD was successfully installed with the games on it, the sound was gone almost completely :D.

Debrief:

1.- In my case, there was an internal problem with the fans, that's why the extremely loud sound.

2.- Installing a HDD significantly reduce the noise of the optical disk drive.

3.- And finally, pardon my horrible English :). I hope this test helps you to find out if your are in my case or try testing your games in another xbox.

cheers.

Sorry this didn't help.