Xbox 360 Slim 250Gb - Shutting off at first use, constantly

Hi there i'd just like to post my recent problem that's started to occur quite a lot, I was given a Xbox Slim for Christmas 2012 by a family member which had been purchased second hand, with 6 months guarantee. It's worked completely fine up until a week or so ago, I woke up and turned my Xbox on via. controller, it booted up but after 30 seconds or so, it shut itself down as if I had touched the touch button? So, I touched the button but it did not respond, I touched the open disc tray button, but it did not turn the console on it just made the noise whenever I touched it, so this caused me to worry slightly so I took it to the shop it was originally purchased from and I asked them to have a look at it, they set it up and booted it up and it worked completely fine for 2-5 minutes, then they un-plugged it and put it back in the box and said there was nothing wrong with it.. I got home, set it up, and yes, it decided to not work and constantly shut itself down and each time it will be a different period of time by meaning I could switch it on with the controller and within 5 seconds of boot it'll shut off, after an annoying hour or so constantly holding the middle controller button to turn the console on without touching it (just to be safe), it decided not to shut itself off and work like a normal Xbox, but my question is what can or shall I do? I've google my problem but I haven't come across a solution/fact to believe..

Just to clarify, this happens all the time when it hasn't been used for a period of time and I've noticed when it bugs out (touching the on button dont work with no sound, and the disc tray not opening just making a sound) if I un-plug the powersupply either from the back of the console or wall, then plug back in and turn on the console is no longer in the bugged mode it was in if that makes sense? But when it shuts off, the touch buttons will bug out.

My guess is my power supply may be faulty? As sometimes I have switched off at the wall and seen the like quickly turn red but then off...

Thanks for your time reading :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

Also I'd like to add that my power supply is a lot louder than it was before and it therefore louder than my actual console itself...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there Levs! Can you tell me what color the light is on your power supply?

It sounds to me like the power supply might be on the fritz. It could be the whole console, but we'll hope it's just the power supply for now. One thing that will give us a hint is: When you took it to the store and they set it up to check it out, did they use your power supply? Or did they use a power supply they had at the store? If they used one they had at the store and it worked fine, I'm really thinking that it's your power supply that's messing things up.

You can also try a friend's power supply (if you have a friend with the same console that you have) and see if the issue persists.

Definitely post back and let us know! ^_^ 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Mister Cerb, thanks for reading mate!

The light is dark orange whilst the console is off, and when power is on it's green. And I was thinking the exact same about the shop using there own, but I can't answer that as I was stupid and had a browse at the games (turning my back) but my guess is that it is the power supply as when I first got this console it used to be so quiet but whenever it's on now it's far louder than the console and I've installed all my games so the console runs quietier!

Fortunately, my girlfriends sister has an Xbox Slim so I'm going to try using her one and maybe I could get back to you on that! Thanks for your advice!

Sorry this didn't help.

Right on Levs! No worries about not watching! I can't help myself in game stores either. I just walk around staring at all the preciouses. =D

Sounds like good luck on knowing someone with a power supply you can try, though! Definitely keep us updated on how it goes! ^_^ 

Sorry this didn't help.