Xbox 360 S won't read old HDD on Xbox HDD Transfer Cable

I just upgraded to a Factory Refurbished Xbox 360 S after getting my THIRD red ring of death in as many years on the original style Xbox 360 (I know right?). I got the 250GB Xbox 360 S, and an Xbox HDD Transfer Cable to transfer my old HDD (20GB) to the new 250GB Xbox. I followed all the instructions, but the Xbox still won't recognize the old HDD. Even when I go to the Storage option on the Xbox System Options menu, it doesn't show the HDD on the cable. At first I thought the cable was bad, or maybe my HDD was fried, so I gave the HDD to a friend who still has the old-style Xbox, and he inserted it into his Xbox. It read the HDD no problem, so I figured it must be the cable. My roommate also has an Xbox 360 S, so I hooked the cable up to his to see if it would read the HDD; no dice. So today I took the cable back and got a new one. Still no luck. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm Crap Outta Luck as far as getting the games, etc. off my old HDD, but thought it would be worth a shot to post on here and see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

With the console powered on, plug the cable into one of the three rear USB ports. Wait a few seconds, then attach the old HDD. Wait 15-30 seconds and you should get a pop-up, or, if you're in System Settings, Memory, you'll see the Transfer Cable device appear.

People have reported, and my experience has been, that this works with the new cable. The older original-HDD-only cables don't appear to have this issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.