Xbox 360 S shutting off by itself

First off I have a Xbox 360 Slim, the Star Wars R2D2 edition. Everything on the xbox worked fine and dandy a couple months ago and never had any issues but I went on vacation and didn't use it or have it plugged in for 2 months. Now when I try to turn it on it only stays on for a min-few mins before shutting off by itself.

A little more about the problem. Since my xbox is the R2D2 edition when you turn it on with your finger (over the sensor) it makes an R2D2 noise. The same when you turn it off, there is a little R2D2 chirp. When you turn it on/off with the controller it does not make a noise. Anyway when my xbox 360 turns off by itself it makes the R2D2 chirp, which makes me think there is something wrong with the sensor since no one is touching it.

What I have done so far is read around on the internet and various forums and my 360 still shuts off by itself. The 1st thing I did was to clean the whole unit since it sat for 2 months I thought maybe it was just dirty. I also wiped the sensor with a cleaning towel used to clean glasses. I have also tried using a little rubbing alcohol and a computer duster and it still shuts off. The time that the xbox stays on varies though, sometimes it shuts off after a min and other times it will stay on for 5-8 mins before shutting off. 

This 360 has not been abused in any way. Not that it matters but I am 35 years old and take good care of the 360. It sits in a well ventilated area and in all honesty rarely gets played or used. Everything seems to be working properly on the 360 except that it shuts off for no reason. I do not think it has anything to do with the power supply either because it always has an orange or green light on the brick.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix because I would really like to get back to using my 360. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 22 Applies to:

The Xbox 360 shuts off on its own when it overheats, although if I remember correctly it makes a different sound when it shuts off. Unfortunately if it's heat that's the issue, it's not easily fixed. The thermal paste probably needs replacing, which needs to be done by an authorized Microsoft Service Center. You could get it serviced by Microsoft but that will probably cost you some money...which sucks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The xbox shuts off after a minute or two so it probably isn't overheating. Plus the unit does not feel hot when it shuts off. It is in a very ventilated location so I'm not sure heat is the issue. I think the problem is something to do with the sensor that turns it on and off.

I chatted with Microsoft online and they said they don't service the 360 anymore. Not sure if that is true or not but that is what the person told me online. He suggested I go to Game Stop for repairs, but I didn't know Game Stop did that.

Sorry this didn't help.

They don't service the phat console. You can still request warranty service on the Slim and Super Slim. GameStop doesn't repair but sell refurb. Typical 'Xbox Support'. He might as well have told you to fix it yourself, open it yourself, which is against TOS. Microsoft telling you to break their own TOS. Genius!

What happens when it shuts off? Does it beep at all? Does it make the same sound as when you shut it off yourself? If it beeps/flashes then it's overheating. If it makes the same sound, then it's most likely the sensor. But you can't really do anything if it is the sensor. Don't get GameStop trash. Please. Don't. It doesn't necessarily have to get hot for it to overheat. If the thermal paste on the processor is shot (which happens a lot, they like to cut corners to cut down manufacturing costs), then you won't get any heat going anywhere else. Either way...I can't advise you to do anything, because unlike whoever you spoke to on the phone, I won't tell you to break TOS while I'm on official Microsoft forums. Maybe Google will have the answers you seek.

Sorry this didn't help.

When the xbox shuts off it makes the same sound that it does when I touch it to turn it on and off. It doesn't beep or flash like you suggested when it overheats.

I'll have to search some more threads on Google to see if I can find an issue or try to see how much it will cost Microsoft to fix it because I don't want to break the seals or anything like that. I think it is the sensor though. I was really hoping for a easy fix on this.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem mine will turn off and come back on in a minute or two by it's self

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still having the same problem with the xbox turning off by itself. I really don't think it is a heat issue. I think there is something wrong with the sensor. I read a thread where someone had found a spider behind the sensor which was causing it to shut on and off. I tried blowing air from a computer duster in mine, vacuuming it, rubbing alcohol and nothing seemed to have worked. I really really don't want to tear my xbox open, but I need to get this fixed. This xbox has seriously hardly been used and well taken care of. In the past systems that I have owned I would have understood if crapped out on me but not this one, and this is the second 360 I've had issues with. My first had the 3 rings of death problem and now this one. I think xbox needs to make better products or extend their warranties for crappy defects they could have prevented like this sensor issue that I'm having.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Since these are the 'official' Xbox forums, we can't tell you to open your console. If it's generally consistent then it's heat. Pretty sure the light sensor flashes red, unless I'm tripping or something.

Sorry this didn't help.

The lights don't flash at all, it just shuts off.  How else can I determine if the xbox is getting too hot? Is there something I can check to find out rather than sending it in or opening it myself?

Sorry this didn't help.