Xbox 360 S is turning itself off :[

I have owned this unit for approximately 14 months, and I'm afraid that it has become yet another piece of Microsoft hardware that failed just beyond the reach of my warranty. The problem I am having with my Xbox is that the power button seems to be shutting the console on and off without any user input. I noticed my Xbox turning itself on and off a couple months ago, but I figured it was just a wacky fluke and I unplugged it from power. It has worked without error since then, until this morning.

Now every time I press the power button, I either get no response or the console powers up but turns itself off immediately (with a 'ding'). The eject button is failing to operate the disc tray or turn the console on, although it does 'ding' every time I touch it. The only way I have been able to successfully power up my Xbox is by using a controller, however this only buys me a couple minutes of time before the Xbox shuts itself off again (with a 'ding'). I also noticed that, when I am able to power on my Xbox, it seems that my display settings have been reset. Considering the system settings are SAVED and I am using the exact same display, it would seem that while the hardware controlling power button is the obvious culprit, this may actually be a software problem. And, coincidentally, I just installed a group of system updates last night.

This is not the first time I have had an Xbox fail both shortly after warranty and immediately after applying a system update. I know there is very little chance of Xbox Support providing me a solution other than to file for a unit repair (which I won't be doing), but I wanted to start a thread for other people who are experiencing the same issue so that we might build a case of evidence.

Alternatively, if anyone who has experienced this issue has found a proper solution, please share.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

In my experiences this has almost always been either the result of a user illegally modifying the console--not that I'm suggesting you have--when they don't know what they're doing and causing a short or the area the console is in is poorly ventilated and extremely dusty.

If you are not willing to ship it into Microsoft for service then you will get no support here since section 1.12 of the Terms of Usage agreement clearly states unauthorized repairs are not allowed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.