Xbox 360 S Heating Issue

Hi,

I own a used 250GB Xbox 360 S that was purchased around 6 months ago. The console works fine, with one exception - it runs very, very hot. I noticed the problem within the first few days, but I managed to find a solution in moving the console to a better ventilated area. However, the problem became progressively worse, to the point where on hot days I needed to point my $90 fan (it's strong enough to feel like an air conditioner sometimes) to keep the system cool enough to play. Smaller fans do not work.

As of this week, I now need to use the fan regardless if I want to be able to play. This is obviously not normal, nor is it ideal, since I'm using a helluva lot more electricity than I would otherwise need to.

The consequences of playing without the fan that I have encountered so far are 1) game freezes (happens every time I play without the fan) and 2) a wiped hard drive (happened once, but still cost me many hours of save progress and many GB of downloads that I had to re-do).

Now, my questions are three-fold:
1. Is there anything I can do to better improve the interior cooling of the console, i.e. not an external cooling system (like I'm currently using)?
2. Is my console under any kind of warranty? I'd obviously be willing to have it repaired.
3. If I'm not covered by warranty, what kind of repair costs would I be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help. Let me know if I can provide any more information that might be of use. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Hi there!

To answer one of your main questions, yes, your console is under warranty for one year from the date of purchase/console registration on Xbox.com. You can also extend the warranty at extra cost - more info on all of this, can be found here.

As for the issues you are having, maybe it would be worth starting a repair if that would give you peace of mind.. If you contact Xbox Support over the phone, and explain the situation, an agent might be able to help. There might be a cost involved, but am not 100% sure! Worth a try at least. ;)

Phone numbers can be found here.

Hope this helps :)

L

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.