Xbox 360 S Hard Drive question.

Hello,

Right so I have been wanting to get another Slim for my bedroom. I all ready have a 250gb slim in my game room. But I do like to sit in my room at times and play on my PS3/old style 360. Anyhow my other 360 is not connected to live any more since my homeplug died. When i was out and about yesterday I found a Xbox 360 Arcade 4gb slim for £89 pre owned. So I bought it. Now what I have done is took the hard drive out of my 250gb slim and put it in my 4gb console. As I like the matt finish where the glossy black dose not cut it for me anymore.

So the 4gb console is now my main console with the 250gb hard drive in. My glossy black 360 s is now in my bedroom with a 8gb USB pen for my saves and profile. Now am wondering I have a old 20gb style 360 hard drive spare here. Am wondering can I just crack open the case on that and put it in one of those 360 s hard drive cases from ebay. I don't consider it as modding as the hard drive is still a official Microsoft product its just in a different case.

I have heard people get banned for putting 3rd party hard drives into there slims. But as I said the 20gb hard drive is a official Microsoft one.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

It can be done but according to this page forums.xbox.com/.../4558.aspx it wouldn't be worth risking a console ban for the sake of a 20GB hard drive.

I don't think you're allowed to do that mate, even if it's an official HDD.

Also since you've changed the Xbox, you will need to transfer you licenses over to the new one. Go to xbox.com/drm to read the FAQ and do transfer the licenses.

EDIT: Actually don't transfer the licenses. That way you will be able to use your DLCs etc offline on your spare Xbox and you will also be able to use it on your main 360 if it is connected to Xbox LIVE.

Ahhhh I will just buy another USB drive for it. All ready did the transfer thing last night via the console.

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't thinku could transfer licenceces via the console

[quote user="andykod77"]

I didn't thinku could transfer licenceces via the console

[/quote]
You now can do it via the console, thanks to the update.

i know loads of people that have taken the HDD out of the old "cases" and put them in their slim, and not one of them has had any issues with xbox. In fact one of them even called support and was told it would be fine, the only issue being it would void the warranty of the HDD itself, not the console.

Support would have been wrong to tell him that. You aren't even meant to replace the analogue sticks in a controller yourself.

its irrelevant if they were wrong or not, the point is, he asked, they said its fine. as for the controllers analog sticks, controllers arent covered by warranty anyway so you can do what you like with them

It would matter because it is regarded as System Tampering, no matter if Support had told him it was okay. Controllers are covered by a warranty and you aren't meant to open them for any reason, not even to replace a set of analogue sticks.

-

Now don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you, which is why I resigned from the Ambassador program because I did not want to have to tell people they had to buy a new £30 controller when a £5 set of sticks could solve their problem.

-

However as the page I linked to before said, opening the case of an old style hard drive to let you use it in a Slim is a Terms of Use violation. So there is a chance, no matter how remote, that a ban could be on the cards for it.

-

[quote user="Mister Gwyther"]Removing the old HDDs from their casing, for use in a 360 S console or other reason, is against the ToU, hardware tampering and modification. At no time is this tolerated. Modifying your hardware can lead to account suspensions or console bans. 

In addition, we will not tolerate this type of discussion on the forums. If you are found discussing this practice, you will be suspended or banned from the forums. 

From the Terms of Use:

12.  Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft.  Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability. [/quote]