XBOX 360 S bought in Europe not supported in US

Just found out that the XBox 360 S AC Adapter bought from Europe does not support the US 110 V. Spoke to Microsoft Xbox support  and they say that even a replacement US adapter will not work with the Xbox and the only option would be to buy a cheap 3rd party transformer from a local hardware store. just shocking!

I simply do not understand why a US adapter would not work with the XBOX 360 S console as all it takes is a standard 12 V DC input. I spent a lot of money already buying this in Europe just 5 months back and now I am frustrated that I will need to use a cheap transformer to get this to work which may heat up and casue bigger electrical issues.

very very disappointed :(

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 64 Applies to:

It is just pointless to invest anymore in a converter anymore because even if i solve the power issues, the Xbox bought in Europe are region specific so they wont play any games bought in the USA or vice versa. This truly sucks.

SD

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The above is correct. You can get by using a different region's power supply, but using a power adapter can damage your power supply and console. Also, games and accounts may not work outside of the region in which they were purchased.

Sorry this didn't help.

even more shocking news:

From: Xbox Customer Support [mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:45 AM

Dear Sumit ,

Thank you for contacting online support for XBOX. I am Dirk and I will be helping you today with this issue.

I can understand that it made you feel upset about the issue with the status of the console. We will work toward fixing this situation for you.

Xbox 360 consoles are designed for use in specific countries or regions. This sometimes called "region locked." If you use your Xbox 360 console in a region other than where it was intended (for example, if you move to a different country or region), the console may not work as expected, or you may damage your Xbox 360 console. We recommend that you only use your Xbox 360 console in the region that the console was designed for.  If you use a power converter and the console is damaged, the console will not be covered under warranty.

If the steps provided did not resolve the issue, we recommend you to contact us directly through XBOX Customer Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) for further assistance.

SD

Sorry this didn't help.

a 50dollar travel converter will take the power from the wall  110 va and convert it to one that your ac adapter  will take

220va

you get them from radioshack

(not the cheap 20dollar travel adapters they don't convert electricity)

Sorry this didn't help.

@IceStorm III - Exactly! Only if I could explain this to him more clearly. All i need them to do is to replace my AC Adapter which takes in AC 110 v  and powers the XBox with 12V DC. But they said i would be wasting money if i bought another AC Adapter

To make it worse, i actually talked to a person over the phone but just couldnt make him agree. i posted this hoping someone else has done this before.

SD

Sorry this didn't help.

I suspect the script reader in the call center is translating "adapter" as the AC power cord that goes from the wall to the power brick. If so, it's true that changing the AC cord will do nothing for you.

A UK 360, in the USA, will work with a USA power brick. As you stated, the input power to the 360 is in DC. That does not change. What changes is the AC voltage/frequency range that the power brick accepts.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks @ngocphi and @Z Roach Returns. I still dont get it. I understand that the Europe adapter is not supported here in the US but i shoul dbe able to just change the adapter. All that the Xbox need is standard 12V DC.

here's te thing about the 50 Dollar transformer. Had i bought this in the US and moved to Europe, i think i would be okay as I was doing a step down. But what i need is a step up transformer. keep in mind that Xbox is meant to be on all the time, at least the power supply is. This may cause the transformer to heat up and cause bigger electrical problems.

They Xbox rep told me they are going to try to replace my dapter and call me. its been almost 2 days now...still waiting!

SD

Sorry this didn't help.

Or you can get a 50dollar travel converter that will convert the power for you

Sorry this didn't help.

Europe uses 220v power, that is what the xbox you purchased is used for.  There is a big reason why an adapter wont make the power magically jump up to 220 from 110.  You can run your own line from the breaker box and create your own 220 outlet, I did that when I moved back from Germany.

Next time you make a large purchase like this abroad you need to check the actual specs on it.  Most computers have a switch to go from 220-110 but that is one of the rare types of electronics with that feature.

Sorry this didn't help.