Xbox 360 running out of space on hdd

I am running out of space on my 20gb hdd and was wondering if i can use my external western digital 500gb hdd with my xbox 360? I know that they are a 16gb limit but was wondering if you can partition the 500gb hdd into separate partitions to be used with the xbox 360 or is it just 16gb total that can be used from a external hdd?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Try it, it might work. I can't say because I've simply never tried anything like that. On the one hand it might view each as a separate Drive. On the other hand, it might not because it views it all as the same USB Device?

Post back and let us know.

Who knows, it may work, I was able to format my old 30 gig ipod into an external hard drive for my 360, so anything is possible

It did not work just shows only one partition of 16gb, that sucks it would have been nice if it had worked. Guess i will have to just look for either a 120gb or 250gb MS Hdd.

Sorry to hear, at least there is an answer for this now.

There is a 320gb drive that is going on sale soon, if not already.  I would just wait for that if I was you.

You can only use one USB "memory unit" per connected device (HDD or flash drive), but you can have two connected at a time. So if you have your HDD connected and 16 GB of it formatted for the Xbox 360, you could attach another HDD or a flash drive, and format that one, too. That allows for up to 32 GB of USB-attached storage at a time.

[quote user="artrip85"]

It did not work just shows only one partition of 16gb, that sucks it would have been nice if it had worked. Guess i will have to just look for either a 120gb or 250gb MS Hdd.

[/quote]

Did you really think Microsoft's monopolizing, money grubbing selves hadn't thought of this? They are going to do whatever possible to force you to buy their official 360 products.

Go for the 250 GB HDD. I have the Slim and it is an amazing HDD. I install all of my games.

Sounds like the OP has the older style xbox. I think the largest for that is 120gb, maybe wrong though. Still much more than the 20 gb though.

250GB was the largest original console HDD. Super Elite consoles came with the 250GB drive. It was/is also sold stand-alone.

GameStop has used 120GB HDDs for $25, though... Worth a try. You can get five of those for the list price of one new 250GB drive.