Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death - is it finally time to jump off the 60 bandwagon

I have been with the MS Xbox 360 from launch.  I love the system and have played over 75 games on it.  My son now has one also in his gameroom.  But over the past five years we have bought 2 xboxes (one for me and one for him).  We have had to replace his twice both times MS replaced them for free (as they should have) and mine was replaced once for free (as it should) but this time they are saying too bad so sad.  I love the xbox360 but I should not have to replace these things yearly.  My PS1 and PS2 are still working for goodness sake.  I am know debating if its time to leave the xbox 360 family or go spend $299.00 on a new one.  Any advice?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you think a change in your choice of game companies is the right move for you, then you're doing the right thing. Good Luck to you.

Yeah, I wouldn't say "I'd be lost without a 360", but it definitely would stink not to have one. I've been down the "road" over the years with the 360, but for me, the good FAR outweighs the alternative.

Happy Gaming whatever your choice! :O)

-Jim

Well it's different for everyone My PS1 and PS2 both stopped working and they never replaced those for free so I just stopped buying them. I had 2 xboxes a 20 gig and a Elite the 20 gig red ringed twice and they fixed it for free when I got it back I upgraded to the Elite. Now I have a slim and just last night it red ringed I didn't think it could happen with this one but it did. I'm gonna send it in and get it fixed for free as well until. They have a horrible console hardware wise but I like it more than the PS3 plus all my friends are on here. If it weren't for the free repair I would have left MS long ago.

Even tho i love both company's i have had my fair share of crap service i went threw like 5 PS2s and 3 XBOXs i do wish the product would last longer but eh what can we do except complain and give feedback but good luck on your future!

For any of those who have experienced the RROD, there are ways around it actually. The first requires complete patience, the proper tools, correct instruction, free time, and serious concentration. All you have to do is go online (whether through google, youtube, or anything else) and find 'how to' instructions on fixing the RROD yourself.

The second solution is to use craigslist (or other local listing sites) to search for someone advertising to fix the issue for you (definitely for a lower price than buying a new system). Or if you can't find any post for it, just make your own post stating you will pay (whatever amount willing) to have someone fix your RROD'd system.

Though with how Xbox Live has really gone downhill in every way, I'd suggest a new hobby. When my 1-year membership runs out, you can consider me gone and never returning to Xbox Live. I'm so sick of Microsoft lately that I have switched to a mac and iphone, now I just have to get rid of my 360. But I won't judge anyone who stays with them, not like their business matters to me. So there's your advice on a cheap way to get your systems fixed bro, whether you use it or not is up to you. Happy gaming or good luck with whatever you choose to be your next hobby!

[quote user="Acegikmo18"]

For any of those who have experienced the RROD, there are ways around it actually. The first requires complete patience, the proper tools, correct instruction, free time, and serious concentration. All you have to do is go online (whether through google, youtube, or anything else) and find 'how to' instructions on fixing the RROD yourself.

The second solution is to use craigslist (or other local listing sites) to search for someone advertising to fix the issue for you (definitely for a lower price than buying a new system). Or if you can't find any post for it, just make your own post stating you will pay (whatever amount willing) to have someone fix your RROD'd system.

[/quote]

I would highly advise against this, as it can get your console banned.

[quote user="x24hrs2livex"]

[quote user="Acegikmo18"]

[/quote]

I would highly advise against this, as it can get your console banned.

[/quote]

Which is very likely one of the reasons why this guy is fed up with Microsoft. They police our every action & ban for the stupidest reasons. If I didn't have so much invested in time & money, I'd drop the 360 at this point myself. If I do buy another Microsoft console next generation, it will be after I have the Sony & Nintendo machines, and only for exclusives.  

The RRoD fixes only involve messing with clamps on the motherboard, not anything that can get you banned. Microsoft won't honor the warranty any more, but you may prolong the life of your xbox.

[quote user="BanjoApocalypse"]The RRoD fixes only involve messing with clamps on the motherboard, not anything that can get you banned[/quote]Self-repair is prohibited as per the Terms of Use so... yes, it's a bannable offense.

If you don't have a 360s then get one i replaced all mine with s models. i do feel your pain though but sony systems have the same issues my launch ps3 60gb burned up and the bluray drive went bad and let me tell you what fun they are to deal with....

ill say they don't make them like they use to my sega genesis still works and it went thru a flood! my launch day dreamcast still works perfect and so do my original xboxes minus having to replace the rom drive.