Xbox 360 Power Cable Question

Hello All,

I have an Xbox 360 Elite console, and I recently discovered that I had inadvertently placed the console over part of the power cable (I am not certain for how long).  I of course repositioned the console so that it is no longer over the cable.  However, I noticed that a small crease was left on the part of the cable that was underneath the console.  The crease itself is small, and is perceptible only to the touch; I do not think it is visible.

The power supply unit is functioning properly, and the cable itself is not split (i.e., I cannot see any of the parts inside).  However, I am concerned about whether I might have an issue at some point down the line with the cable- specifically, with the crease that was left over on the cable.  Is it possible that the crease on the cable could ever expand/widen/weaken/wear down from my using the console such that I could have an issue?

Sorry if this seems like an overly worrisome concern, but I am not an electrician and would like any insight/guidance anyone could offer.  Of course, I would like to avoid paying $35.00 for a new power cable if I can.

Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hello,

I do not believe there is a reason to be concerned about it, the crease may in fact over time disappear as there will no longer be any weight placed over it to keep the crease there. It should not weaken the overall structure of the cable's outside or ever cause a split in that one spot, so long as you keep it out of sunlight, thus preventing the plastic from degrading.

Wires are meant to bend and be squeezed between tight spaces, so long as the internals are not damage or left raw/stripped, there is no chance of any failure or worse happening to them.  Chances are, you'll retire the console  before the wires even think about dying, and wont even remember the crease in the outside of the shell casing.

Hope this helps to lift your worries. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It should be fine. If the casing isn't split, it's doubtful that any wiring has been damaged. As you say, the crease can only be detected by touch, so there shouldn't be any problems with it working for a very long time! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I can only talk from experience but I have had this happen to cables in the past. Touch wood it has never caused issue really. I know this won't really alleviate your worries but I would try not to be overly concerned :).

If there was visible damage/wires/stress etc then I would recommend a replacement. But from what you have described it seems like you just have a crease in the cable housing. But if it is something that continues to bother you it might be worth replacing it just for your piece of mind. A cable is cheaper than a console after all :).

Hope this helped a little.

Sorry this didn't help.

elquietone, MentalAceman, and GreyPilgrim: thank you SO much for your excellent answers and putting my mind to ease.  I greatly appreciate all of your help!

Sorry this didn't help.