xbox 360 plug and charge kit cable with a hole burn't through it?

My kids were in their room the other night and came out complaining of a burn't smell.  My first thought was that a moth or something had infiltrated the projector and found the bulb...but today my son called me in there a little alarmed that his cable on the controller didn't work and had a hole in it.  The controller end has a hole burn't through the board all the way through the plastic a little smaller than a dimeright where the cable connects. I don't think they were playing with this cable the other night or they probably would have noticed it was burning.  I guess we were lucky, but has anyone else had this happen?  Our system is all microsoft, I also checked to make sure they didn't mistakenly have batteries in one of the controllers.  My son says the cable was one they don't normally use, they have have it for when friends come over.  I'm not trying to get a new one, just trying to figure out what caused it? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

Hey TJ,

It's not something I've seen reported before.

- was the cable plugged into the console at the time?

- is it always plugged in?

- do you have any pets at all? (My cats think cable controllers are a big game

Cheers

Sean

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is this play and charge cable Microsoft made or is it off-brand? I once owned an off brand battery with charging cable (had a different plugin type) and the battery would actually pour out acid. So when I think of off-brand I think of faulty. I don't think it's even possible the cable could burn in that way though, but I suppose it's possible. If it's off-brand, make sure to use Microsoft products from now on.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, it's all microsoft, the cable , battery, everything...thanks for the reply!

Sorry this didn't help.