XBOX 360 Lag

Hi there

i just wanted to ask why my xbox 360 lags SSOOO MUUCCCH when i play original xbox games on it ?????

can some plzzzz heeellppp meee !!!!!!!!!!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Lag? Xbox hasn't had online play since 2010....

If you're wondering why your games play like garbage in single player, that's due to lazy/bad emulation MS half-heartedly bothered with on the 360...

Open world games regularly lag on 360, try Saints Row or Oblivion to see it.  Start a gun fight in Saints Row and stay alive 'till a lot of polygons are active or get your athletic skill up and run and jump really fast in Oblivion.

[quote user="DOMTHEBOMB74"]i just wanted to ask why my xbox 360 lags SSOOO MUUCCCH when i play original xbox games on it ?????[/quote]What specific games are an issue? Do you recall if you saw the same sort of framerate slowdown when playing on the original XBOX console?

The emulation software isn't perfect. Some slowdowns are inevetable. Overall, though, It works well for the few games I've played (Halo, Halo 2, Crimson Skies, JSRF, Indigo Prophecy).[quote user="Templar Boe"]Open world games regularly lag on 360, try Saints Row or Oblivion to see it.[/quote]You're comparing first generation XBOX 360 games to original XBOX issues? Why? One has nothing to do with the other.

Also, second and third generation open world titles, like Saints Row 2 and Saints Row The Third, largely resolved open world slowdown issues.

I was just trying to say it lags anyway mate, you're looking at emulators but maybe you should be looking at hardware.  The 360 is much less of a console and more a multimedia device than the XBOX was.  I don't know but perhaps it's assumptive to assume older games place less demands on the 360 when the 360 has so many more demands placed on it than the XBOX did and so assume XBOX games should work well on newer hardware when the evidence shows lag in native 360 games anyway.  Emulators aside, games lag on the 360.  It's a fair point you made though, the way I wrote it was very slightly off topic.

It could be input lag caused by your TV's settings. Turn of any extra processing, like edge enhancement, adaptive contrast, etc, etc. If it is input lag, it can be greatly reduced by adjusting your picture properly.

[quote user="Templar Boe"]The 360 is much less of a console and more a multimedia device than the XBOX was.[/quote]Adding functionality several years into its lifecycle does not diminish the original capabilites that the 360 console shipped with.[quote]when the 360 has so many more demands placed on it than the XBOX did[/quote]There are no "demands" placed on the system by multimedia applications when the system is playing games. It's an either/or function, not a simultaneous function.[quote]and so assume XBOX games should work well on newer hardware when the evidence shows lag in native 360 games anyway.[/quote]Slowdowns on first generation titles is not a 360-specific issue. The same sorts of problems plague just about every console made. Until tools and developers are able to optimize well for a new architecture there will be issues.[quote]Emulators aside, games lag on the 360.[/quote]Troll, troll, troll your boat...

Games do lag on the 360 and there's nothing I can do about the way you feel about that.  I'm not trying to wind you up but you're all wrong.  Lag as an issue is specific to this generation of console and improvements in software design in earlier generations only led to improved graphics and game physics.  Ease of use and uniformity in hardware is what actually sold consoles.  I've had lag playing card games when a message or achievement has come through while cards were sliding across the table and they're not graphically intensive games.  You mention architecture and that might be the problem, there are more demands and maybe it doesn't suit emulation.

The XBOX Original & The XBOX 360, Use Two Entirely Different Programming Languages... The 360 Has To Emulate The Original NTE OS (Based On Windows NT Architecture) & Essentially, Is Running Two Games At Once... Hence, The Slow Gameplay & Lag..

That's Why, Not All Original XBOX Games Are Backwards Compatible... Some Games, Were More Graphic Intensive, Than Others etc.. 

[quote user="NanoTechSoldier"]The 360 Has To Emulate The Original NTE OS (Based On Windows NT Architecture)[/quote]The OS has nothing to do with it.[quote] & Essentially, Is Running Two Games At Once...[/quote]It's not running two games at once. There's an emulator for each game title that is considered BC.

Emulation is the reason. Biggest reason is the change from a Nvidia GPU in the first Xbox to the AMD/ATI in the 360. A lot of graphics routines don't have a similar function on the 360s GPU and have to be run in a different manner meaning it can take several times the computational load to carry out the same operation with that overhead. Some games work well like Ninja Gaiden or Halo 1&2. The emulation is different for each game with backwards compatibility. Mercenaries works, but there are bugs in the emulation that make it unplayable after a certain point in the game and it becomes unplayable. If you check the list of backwards compatible games you will notice several have notices of the bugs running on the 360.

-

Reason the PS3 systems that had backwards compatibility literally had the PS2 CPU in the system as well since software emulation was too complicated or time consuming.