Xbox 360 hdmi 5.1 sound

My setup: Xbox plugged into Sony blu-ray home theatre system via hdmi. Home theatre plugged into tv via hdmi. My question is... Will the 5.1 sound work going through hdmi only. I have read some links which say it will work over hdmi and some that say you need a digital optical audio cable as well. After reading the Xbox link about setting up via hdmi I get the impression that if you plug straight into a/v receiver etc then you only need hdmi. The optical cable is only needed if you plug the hdmi direct into the tv. Then the optical has to plug into the a/v receiver to get 5.1 sound. Is this correct? Just to confuse things more, the audio settings in xbox say "digital output requires an optical audio cable". That seems to not line up with the below xbox setup links. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/hdmi-cable http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/connect-sound-system

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey there Mongoose! Unless I'm very mistaken, the 5.1 sound should go fine through HDMI only. I believe the audio settings in xbox saying "digital output requires an optical audio cable" is referring to if you're using component cables, not HDMI. The best thing to do would be to try it and see what results you get. But I definitely think HDMI should be all you need.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The advantage of HDMI other than reducing cable clutter is HDMI is currently the only connection format that can carry next generation surround sound formats digitally, including DSD (Direct Stream Digital) used in SACD players, DVD-Audio, Multi-channel uncompressed PCM (used by Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players), as well as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio.

As long as the device you are connecting to supports it you should be ok

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.