Xbox 360 Gears of war Console 320gb hdd

hi i got my gears of war console today and on the box it say 320gb hdd

i turn on the xbox and it says 293gb thats not right and its not fare

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Mine freezes constantly and won't let me DL my Rock Band songs.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you get an error message when they fail to download?.

And have you moved your game licences to the new console yet using the DRM tool?.

OP.
I presume some space is saved for system updates and such, not sure how much though. And have you transferred your existing data over to the new HDD?, if so perhaps that has taken up some of the space.

Sorry this didn't help.

all hard drives do not show the exact ammount that shows on the packaging.  so a 320 gig drive would have 293 unless there is stuff on the drive you can remove.  120 gig elite drive I had on my older 360 with NOTHING on it showed 107 i think gigs free, that is just how they are even for PC drives and flash drives sorry.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Mideon - please post your issue in a separate thread, as it's unrelated to this one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Two reasons.

1. The box saying "320 GB" means 320,000,000,000 bytes, but the system's gigabyte division is by (1,024 X 1,024 X 1,024 == 1,073,741,824), not a simple 1,000,000,000. This difference gets larger with larger HDDs, so your "320 billion bytes" becomes "298 Gigabytes" or so. This is true of every console and computer system, except that Mac OS X added the option to show either type of measurement.

2. The console reserves some hidden partitions, so you lose a few gigabytes from the real total. You benefit from them because of system caching, but you can't put files there.

Sorry this didn't help.

In general, for storage devices measured in GB, you can take the advertised value, multiply by 0.931, and get the value that a Microsoft OS will report. MS does not use the SI standard unit for 2^30 bytes. They stick with the JEDEC standard. Personally, I find this acceptable because trying to pronounse Gibi (the SI binary prefix) is asinine. The downside to this is that storage device makers use the "correct" SI prefix for 10^9 bytes. As both the "correct" prefix and the JEDEC prefix result in the abbreviation "GB", you get overloading of a single term. This makes for confusion, though at least we're not all running around saying "Gibibyte!"...

Beyond that, All 360 HDDs, from the smallest 20GB to the largest 320GB, reserve 4.7GB of space for system usage. 2GB of that is the XBOX emulator cache partition. The other 2.7GB is used for other stuff.

320 * 0.931 = 297.92

297.92 - 4.7 = 293.22

The 360 rounds off/cuts off (depending on what/where the display is taking place) to three places or one decimal point, so that becomes 293GB.

Sorry this didn't help.