Xbox 360 games - Old discs works, new discs do not, or at least struggle to work

Hi everyone,

My xbox360 has developed a new issue, I can play any old game (GTA 4, Wet, Assassins Creed 1) no problems, put the disc in the drive and away it goes.
When I come to play a new game (Skyrim, Battlefield 3 or AC: Revelations ), I have to eject the disc, reload, clear the cache, eject again and repeat until it loads, not been too much of an issue until recently when it takes about 25-30 minutes to get the Battlefield 3 disc to load so I can have a xbox live game. Last night I spent a painfull 2 and half hours and ended up playing BF:1943 instead.

Any one else had this issue?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I'd recommend contacting support.

http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/contact-us?xr=shellnav

-

If you can, speak with a live agent through their chat system. I did this last week, and they solved my problem within 10 minutes. Great service.

Thank you iXanon, I've tried the steps suggested and it has advised that I need to get it serviced, I think perhaps it may be time to get a new one which is a shame as its only 2 years old.

An update about a year ago added a new format to xbox disks, that added a bit of extra space for games. I'm guessing your problem is with something in the extra space.

<p>

Have you tried a DVD cleaner disk? about £5 from places like HMV

</p>

[quote user="Jokul81"]

Hi snail thanks for getting back to me, Yeah I've got a Maxell DVD lens cleaner from ASDA about £8.99 (didn't want a rubbish cheap one).

I suspected that it could have been the update but wouldn't that prevent me from playing the game ever, I have been lucky occasionally and managed to get the game to load?

Any thoughts appreciated.

[/quote] Do you recall getting an E-mail around the time of the update from Microsoft? If not you are not affected by this, Only a small majority of people were affected.

Yeah sounds like your drive is on the way out. And you should never ever use one of them lens cleaners, they will do even more damage to the lens as they will scratch it

Hi snail thanks for getting back to me, Yeah I've got a Maxell DVD lens cleaner from ASDA about £8.99 (didn't want a rubbish cheap one).

I suspected that it could have been the update but wouldn't that prevent me from playing the game ever, I have been lucky occasionally and managed to get the game to load?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Have to say I had a similar issue 12 months ago, i bought a lens cleaner from tesco's and it's been fine since, maybe I'm just lucky.

[quote user="M4RV 71"]

Yeah sounds like your drive is on the way out. And you should never ever use one of them lens cleaners, they will do even more damage to the lens as they will scratch it

[/quote]

Okay, this might explain why I have had more issues since using the lens cleaner - Dang it, cheers for the heads up M4RV71

Hi Highland, No I never got an email from Microsoft so I think the laser is dead/dying. I just got my wages paid in and I bought a new xbox. Thanks to everyone for your help.