XBOX 360 External HD

First time poster here. I have a few seperate questions for the group.

I have an older XBOX 360 Elite that has been fixed by XBOX once already (back in 2010) for the RROD; it has an external 250GB HD. Over the course of the past few months I have started to receive the 2 flashing lights (overheating) where it auto-powers off. I have read all of the helpful hints on the various websites and have made sure it is is a well ventalated area, have suspended the power brick, blew out any dust that was on both the brick and console itself, made sure the plugs were seeded and plugged into a good power source, etc. Still no change and it appears to be happening during shorted play time windows.

1. Anything else anyone can recommed I look at?

2. Should I send it in for repair, buy a newer model console, or try to find another older console to purchase?

3. If I buy a newer model console can I use/transfer the data on my external 250GB HD to the newer systems? If so how exactly as am under the impression the newer consoles have internal HD's and I do not want attempt to dissassemble. Also, do the newer consoles have intigrated HDMI connection capabilities?

4. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:
Joey, 1) from the sounds of it, you appear to have tired all available solutions. 2) i'd buy a new 360s model. You'll pay about $100 to repair your current console. 3) you can transfer you connect from the external HDD to the new internal HDD via the transfer cable. You won't lose anything that is currently on the external HDD.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about the console issue.

1. It appears as if you've followed all of the necessary steps to minimize the issue. At this point, the console is most likely defective.

2. You can find out about the console repair process at support.xbox.com/.../repair-process. An in-warranty repair is free. An out-of-warranty repair costs $99 plus tax if submitted online, or $119 plus tax if submitted over the phone. Xbox 4GB consoles start at $199.99 (www.xbox.com/.../Xbox3604GB), and 250GB consoles cost $299.99 (www.xbox.com/.../Xbox360250GB).

3. Assuming that the new console would have a hard drive big enough to store all the data on your current hard drive (up to 250GB), you can transfer all of your data to the new console using an Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable ($19.99 - www.xbox.com/.../Xbox-360-Hard-Drive-Transfer-Cable). Although the hard drive is stored inside the new Xbox 360 models, it is easily accessible and removable by a hidden door in the bottom of the console. New Xbox 360 consoles have HDMI compatibility and an HDMI port built-in.

I hope you find a solution that works well for your needs!

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the response and have a few follow up questions. So I went ahead and purchased a new 360S console along with the Data Transfer Cable. The new system works great but during the data transfer it froze before it could complete (about 75%). I am able to see the data that was transferred and use my new console along with seeing the remaining data on the 'old' drive when I plug it in. I am concerned that if I try and move the rest of the data from my 'old' drive it will erase the data that was transferred to my new system. Can someone clarify what will happen prior to me proceeding.

Also, for some reason that escapes my new systems HDMI connection is not working. I have it set up using the component connector (which is horrible) but when I use the HDMI port I get nothing. Can this HDMI port on the console potentially be defective? Is there something I can do to troubleshoot? If I have to return this new console can I keep the internal HD once I resolve the data transfer issues?

Thanks for the great/quick feedback so far!

Sorry this didn't help.