Xbox 360 Elite HDTV Display Issue

Recently I have come across a problem when trying to connect my console to my TV via HDMI.

The TV that I have is a VIZIO LCD HDTV 720p (MODEL: E321VL)
Amazon.com: Vizio E321VL 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV - Black: Electronics

The console that I have is an Xbox 360 Elite, with the latest dashboard and updates as of March 2012

The HDMI cable that I have is the DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M
Amazon.com: Vizio E321VL 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV - Black: Electronics

The problem is that when I connect my console to my TV via HDMI it displays Not supported, also there is no audio. After this occurred I reset my console's display by using the Y + Right Trigger method, my console does reset, but the display remains unsupported. Also, I have used my console and cable with an LG HDTV and the display works properly. I have also connected my PC to my TV using my cable and a DVI-HDMI converter. The AV display works correctly with my console and TV also.

I have tried changing the display settings blindly on my console, as well as changing them with another TV. When using another TV to change the settings I changed them to 720p, 1080p, and optimal settings. As for blindly changing the settings, I was unable to find a tutorial that followed the new dashboard, but just the old one with the first avatar support. So therefore I might not have done this correctly, but I am sure that I have at least gotten close.

I have yet to try another cable between my TV and console, but I do not understand why mine doesn't work specifically with my console and TV, when it works in other situations. I have contacted Microsoft Customer Support and the agent said that it was a compatibility issue with my cable, is this possible?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

Hey Matt, Sorry to see that you are having issues with video/audio. However DVI is not compatible with Xbox since it does not support HDCP protocol.. See the below attached piece from the support section

You cannot use a DVI port and adapter to connect an HDMI cable to your console. DVI ports do not support the HDCP protocol. Try another cable, such as an Xbox 360 Component HD A/V Cable or a VGA cable. Learn how to connect your console to a TV.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="iRayDawg"]However DVI is not compatible with Xbox since it does not support HDCP protocol.[/quote]DVI handles HDCP just fine. HDCP support is dependent on the devices, not HDMI or DVI. This is really neither here nor there as he's talking about a specific company (DVI Gear) and not a DVI cable. The cable is HDMI.

While rare, I have come across an HDMI cable that worked on one device, but not on another. If things are marginal enough, they may not work properly. There are two inputs on the TV that support HDMI. Both should be tried. The 360 should be set to 720p as the TV's a 1366x768 display. 720p is the closest to the native resolution of the display.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, for the replys. As of now I have tried multiple xbox's on my TV with multiple HDMI cables, and all work. The other Xboxs I tried were alll Xbox Slims, along with an original xbox. I have come to the conclusion that the Xbox 360 elite Either has a compatability or security issue with my my model of TV, or perhaps any Vizio. Of course there is the chance that there is something malfunctioning with my specific Xbox, but I find that unlikely do to the fact that it works with other TVs.

Also, Xbox is completely compatible with DVI, do to the fact tha DVI is just the video compenent of HDMI. I have on many occasions connected my xbox to my monitor via an HDMI-DVI converter.

I think my solution will just be to get component HD cables, which will be fine since the cables only produce 720p video, and my TV only produces 720p.

Sorry this didn't help.