xbox 360 Elite, disc tray issues

Hi there, I am currently having issues with my elite consoles disc tray not opening when it is empty, it usually takes several attempts at pressing the eject button before the tray opens, but it is ok when there is a disc in there as it opens up no problem, any idea if this can be easily fixed?

The console is currently lay down as it has been for years.

I do know the console is well out of warranty and more than 3 years old.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 37 Applies to:

Try taking the faceplate off of the Xbox 360, to do this, Place your thumb in the USB port door bay, then firmly pull the faceplate away from the Xbox 360.

Once it is off, try opening the disk drive, if it works, then you know it's your Faceplate that is getting in the way of your system drive, and you should probably buy a new one to fix this issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just in case it fails to open completely at some point here is a guide on how to manually eject the disc tray of your xbox 360. If that happened you will likely want to take out a repair or just replace the console depending which is an option for you really.

But knowing how to open the tray manually is useful in-case there is a disc in the console when the tray fails to open for the last time.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar problem and I found a quick and easy way to make sure the tray always opens the first time you press the button. I keep a oxm demo disc in the tray when I don't have a game in it so that when I'm ready to play a game I don't have to fight with the tray . The best thing to do would be to get a demo disc or a disc for a game that doesn't work or something like that to keep in the tray until you can fix the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.